texture and tiling and modeling

Started by
3 comments, last by zathras 22 years, 2 months ago
This is a mix of art and modeling, so I thought I would try here first! I am building a 3d model of a house--which you can walk thru in a first person view. Here''s the question: I have long walls--say 30 feet long by 10 feet high. I am using 128x128 textures. Since my wall is one object/mesh, the texture stretches to fit--which distorts the texture, of course. So, to fix it I tile the texture (10x-20x). But I have the impression that this reduces performance in the game. Is tiling the texture the right way? Or should I create the wall in smaller segments? Or is there an even better way?! Any 3dmax users? How do one assign a texture to only one face of an object, say a wall, leave the other faces untextured?! Thanks. Please direct me to the correct forum if this is not the right place. -me-
Advertisement
Most games tile their textures, so there''s no problem there.

There used to be a problem with TNT cards in that texture minification (occurrs when a texel is smaller than a pixel) hurt performance badly, but turning on mipmapping fixed that.

Hope this helps,

- Pete
Thanks Pete, that does help!

...though I was hoping that tiling was not the
answer...because some things just don''t like to
be tiled--such as textures with edge detail. I
guess I should brush up on the modeling side.

Thanks again.

-me-

Another way to go about this would be UV mapping. Most of the better 3d modeling programs such as Max, Lightwave, Maya, etc have this. UV mapping is like flattening the 3d unto a sheet and you can export this into a 2d program. Then you can color this sheet there. I''m not sure my definition of uv mapping is understandable (i suck explaining).
Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
Thanks Nomad!

UV mapping is what I am using in 3DsMax for tiling
my textures, as well as adjusting other parameters.

The problem/question is: If I model, say a door, and
put a nice door texture on it and let it tile--what
happens when I draw a door knob on it? The door knob
will tile as well. Not good.

So I think I have to segment the door model and create
a seperate polygon face for the areas that I don''t
want tiled and texture them separately. I know it can
be done--just don''t know how...yet. Something along the
lines of assigning "Material IDs".

-me-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement