Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LonelyTower

JaGame vs. 3DGameMaker vs. 3dGameStudio vs. programming your own engine...

LonelyTower    122
Hi, Just curious, have anyone tried any of the following products ~ DarkBasic, 3d Game Maker, 3d Gamestudio or JaMagic? If so, are they more for hobbysts or can those be used to make near-professional quality game? If you have, and you are now a full-fledged programmer, will you rather write your own engine or uses those low-budget engine? Why and why not? Thanks in advance, and thanks for you time!

Kylotan    10007
This is liable to turn into a flame war. Hopefully people will stick to the facts and not try to be elitist (as we are seeing in several other threads at the moment).

The game-making tools will give you a large increase in development speed at the price of some flexibility. Some of them can be made to make ''professional level'' games, but it''s unlikely that you''d be able to make anything that comes close to being state of the art.

Whether these tools are useful to you really depends on the level of expertise available to you. If your programmers don''t really know what an engine is, or have never done significant coding projects before, or if you are a group of artists, designers, writers, with no programmers, then you''ll save a lot of time by using a game-making package. Just don''t expect it to be up to the visual quality of Quake 3.

Often a good compromise is to program the basics of something yourself, but to make heavy use of libraries, such as ClanLib, SDL, OpenAL, etc. This speeds up development with a lesser loss of flexibility compared to using a pre-made engine.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

locus    122
I have 3D GameStudio, and for the price, it''s a really good package. You can always download the 30-day trial version to check it out.
Also, check out the websites that are posted at the 3D GameStudio
site to see other peoples games made with it.

I haven''t tried the other programs, and I''ve only gotten mixed reviews about them.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
no i mean the 3d gamemaker (see http://t3dgm.thegamecreators.com ) trial not the 3d gamestudio