3d studio max & OpenGL

Started by
3 comments, last by mAdMaLuDaWg 22 years, 2 months ago
I have a doubt regarding 3d studio max. Suppose I create an animation in 3d studio max. Will I be able to import the whole animation or is it only possible to import a still 3d image? Thanks.
-----------------------------"Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?A: None. Bill Gates will just redefine Darkness(TM) as the new industry standard. "~wUn LoVe tO aLl ThE mAlUs OuT tHeRe!~
Advertisement
It''s the matter of how you save your model/animation I think.. I mean, is it the scene you have animated, or is it a model. if it''s only the scene you have animated I don''t know. However, if it''s the model you''ve animated with bones or something like that. I suggest you get your hands on some sort of export plugin for Max. (ie: md2/md3 exporter) and then look at some of the tutorials about loading and displaying md2/md3 model files.. I''m using md2 models myself in my project, but I use Milkshape to export the models into the proper file format. I havent got a exporter for md2''s, havent looked for it either though.

Good Luck! =)

Kenneth Wilhelmsen
Try my little 3D Engine project, and mail me the FPS. WEngine
Or just visit my site
--------------------------
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has
been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice. This
disgrace to civilization should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, senseless
brutality, deplorable love-of-country stance, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action! It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is nothing but an act of murder
According to the file spec for the 3ds file format at: www.wotsit.org there is a section in the format for bone data.

Though I have not tested it, I would assume that this data would only be stored for animation purposes...

Cheerio,
Aaron

HollowWorks.com
write your own export plugin
hey, life has to go on
I'm not sure on the file format specifics, but maybe some of this is useful:

First off, try the MAX SDK which should have come with 3dstudio. I'm pretty sure its available for download too if you do some searching.

The SDK has all the info and libs to do maxscript or c++ plugins for MAX.

Theres also an SDK for character studio, if thats what you need. Theres a document on exporting bipeds animations etc.

both should be in the \sdk\ dir in your MAX and Cstudio dirs.

Just noticed something else. Theres a tutorial at

http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/OpenGL/OpenGL_Pg4.htm

thats all about what you need. Think its only a preview though... :¬(

Dan

Edited by - mrbastard on February 7, 2002 11:08:49 PM
[size="1"]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement