Is it time FPS’s grew up ?

Started by
32 comments, last by Nomax5 20 years, 8 months ago
Remember back when you were children playing war or cowboys “pretending”. “I shot you 4 times you’ve only shot me 3”. This is where I see FPS games are at currently just “pretend”. In order to progress to the more grown up “paint ball” stage the games have to introduce some sort of Penalty perhaps once hit your movement is gradually reduced along with your health (like the MMORPG Death Over Time) forcing a retreat to seek medical attention. Perhaps a true character which retains evolved skills, abilities, items, cash. loosing them as a penalty for death. Perhaps one day we will wear Bio feed back suits powered with compressed gas bubbles that inflict real pain and injury, or induce electric shocks giving games a real BUZZ. Who knows one day hardcore games may even be actually life threatening. “It’s a funny old world” Nomax5
Advertisement
Back when counterstrike was under development, there was a division amongst the team members as to whether there should be a reduction in movement speed and jump height with loss of health.

I have often thought that this would be a good thing, and I have yet to see why it is developers don''t use this sort of design device.

In FPS games it is particularly common to end up whittling away at your opponent little-by-little (unless you have the rocket launcher). I suspect that developers wanted to save players who got on a down-streak from getting instantly fragged whenever they get hit (if you slow down, then you can''t run away from your opponent, so you''re f****d).

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Haven''t you guys played Rogue Spear or any of the Tom Clancy novel-to-computer games?
You actually start to limp and so you become an easier target if you are hit in the leg or something.

-------------------------
(Gorgeous graphics)+(beautiful sound effects)+(symphonic music)+(no gameplay) != Good game
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Until we get past the "instant resurection with minimal impact" stage, none of this will matter all that much. People would actually have a tendancy to WANT to die sooner when injured so that they can "be whole" again, grab a few weapons lying about and get back in the action.

Again, "Rainbow 6", et al, does an admirable job of making you WANT to stay alive because when you are out, you are out.

I think this would be more of an issue in MMORPGs where the pace is a little slower and you have severe ramifications on death.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Haven''t any of you guys played the mod for half-life called Firearms? It does exactly that (or at least it did in the last version I played).

When you get shot you bleed. When you bleed, you lose health until you stop bleeding. You have to find/use bandages to stop bleeding. I didn''t think this was as fun as counterstrike. Its not a matter of having a realistic game, its having a fun game that counts. People don''t play games if they aren''t fun.

Moe''s Site
I''ve played CounterStrike quite a lot, and I don''t think that if they''d have added additional damage to wounds the game would have been any better.

First, the great thing about CS is that everything can (and eventually will) happen. It''s perfectly possible to kill an enemy without getting hurt at all, and with an inferior weapon too. I remember getting in front of two guys (both a lot better players than me), and getting two kills by headshot in half a second from my M4A1 Colt automatic rifle.

The point being that while you are alive, you are _in_ the game.

Countless times the last man of a team with 5 life points kills two or three enemies and wins the game.

So, if you enter a closed fight and you kill an enemy and still have 5 life points, you _won_. It wasn''t a draw like the damage suggests (95 - 100). It was your victory.

But if serious wounds would cause bleeding, decrease the aiming accuracy and speed and jumping height, turning a heavily wounded survivor into a sitting duck, that victory feeling would be gone. As a consequence, the game would have a lot more draws, a lot less victories and a lot less unlikely heroic victories. More, those who finish up the wounded would be unrightfully rewarded with an unworthy frag.

Finally, such a move would force wounded players into camping somewhere around the level.

I think this is a classical case where realism conflicts with fun.
I agree that we shpould work towards more realistic damage SIMULATION in games, but actually harming the player? Don''t you think that''s going a little too far? I mean, develpoers would find it kind of hard to get repeat players if their game decapitated you within five minutes...

-----------------------------

Vash the Stampede

"Love & Peace!"
// Tojiart
I like the idea of increased realism. Delta Force did this well. You never really knew what your health was. If you got hit once, you might live. If you got hit again, you were probably dead. Medal of Honor has a more arcadey feel, but when you get shot, your aim jumps all over the place.

I don''t think slowing the player down when taking damage would be a good idea. I envision a scenario where most wounded players would simply kill themselves to get back to full speed (unless this was a gametype where you don''t come back until the next game after dying).

I think Unreal Tournament had some variations on this idea. In one mod, if you got a lot of kills, your model became bigger and easier to hit, while if you took a lot of damage, you became skinnier.

-------------
SpaceRook
Latest Project: Paper Shredder
Visit my homepage for other projects!
If i want realism, i''d gather a few friends, hire a plot of forestland, buy a couple of weapons and ammo, then head out and play..

dude, I just want good, fast paced action.

- Cmdr Dats
"The power of faith is quiet. It is the leaf unmoved by a hurricane."
- Cmdr Dats"The power of faith is quiet. It is the leaf unmoved by a hurricane."
quote:Original post by Nomax5
Perhaps one day we will wear Bio feed back suits powered with compressed gas bubbles that inflict real pain and injury, or induce electric shocks giving games a real BUZZ.

This is Nuts. Everything else was cool but this wrecked it.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement