Clipping Problems??

Started by
4 comments, last by brewknowc 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am fairly new to directX and am making my first directX game after reading TOTWGPG. I am doing good so far except I am having a problem with the clipper. This only happens when I am running 24bit mode: I am running full screen mode and only clipping around part of the screen, and the part that gets clipped is showing my desktop!!! The part that is blitted to is fine. Has any one come across this... I am clearing my back buffer each time, then blitting to it, then flipping it. If I run in 8bit mode this doesn''t happen, but I don''t want to make an 8bit game. Also this only happens on certain computers. Any Ideas? - Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
Advertisement
Rough guess - drivers.

Check and see if the computers you have problems on have the same type of GFX card - ie NVidia/ATI/S3. Try 32bit colour. Does that do the same? Worth checking.

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!
I just checked and the video cards that don''t work are not the same chipset. I also tried different video modes for my computer''s resolution and it did the same thing. When I said 24bit I meant the resolution of the window I created in DirectX, not my computer resolution. It does have something to do with the video card though, because I put my old video card back in my computer and my prog works fine. Could it be that the cards that do not support hardware clipping are having a problem when they go through the HEL?? Could it be the way I am creating the window?

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
Is your program windowed? If so then stick to the resolution of your desktop. I actually meant to set your directdraw window to 32 bit.

Neil

thats the weird part... my app is full screen and it does do the same thing when I set the window resolution to 32 bit. I am going to try it on a few more computers and see if I can make some correlation.

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
I think I may have been right as to the cause of this problem... The computers that this problem occurred on have video cards that do not support DD hardware clipping, and therefore had to run through the HEL and were slow and glitchy in comparison. I wonder what percentage of modern video cards don''t support clipping in the HAL? Well at least I know now, not that there''s much I can do about it. Thanks for any replies

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement