Installing runtime files without using a setup prog (VB)

Started by
6 comments, last by -Fruz- 22 years, 2 months ago
Is this possible? JFK Edited by - -Fruz- on February 7, 2002 11:18:43 AM
Advertisement
as far as i know, you can either use an install program, or give the user a message box telling them to get the VB runtimes and install them himself (although you''d have to use a different programming language for the messagebox since they wouldn''t have the VB runtimes)...
so, no, i don''t believe so.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
If the runtimes are in the same directory as the program, it will probably detect them.

In my thunking device, what happens to the inherited pointer to the original base class when I override the function & how do I access it in my inline assembly code, assuming that we are referencing the higher byte of the 16-bit variable?
In my thunking device, what happens to the inherited pointer to the original base class when I override the function & how do I access it in my inline assembly code, assuming that we are referencing the higher byte of the 16-bit variable?
There is a program named Fusion which will embed those runtimes into your exe, it isn''t free, and I don''t know the url though.

If you have the runtimes in the same directory, your program will detect them (I have seen autostart cds running VB things, and all they need is the runtimes in the same directory)

Depending on who you are releasing stuff to, you might consider having two versions, one with runtimes and one without. So all the people with the runtimes (ie everyone with Win2000 and later or anyone who has had a VB thing before) don''t have to download an extra megabyte.

Trying is the first step towards failure.
Thanx for your help. I never thought the only thing was to put the files in the same folder... But ragonastick, do tou have anymore info on the program named Fusion? There are alot of programs and other stuff on the net named the same thing so it would take hours to find that single program.

JFK
dont use something like fusion to package the vb libraries with your exe. that is stupid. just tell the user they need to install the vb runtime and give them a link to microsofts site where they can download the runtime. doing it any other way just wastes hardrive space needlessly.
I found the prog (wich is a very GOOD prog actually!). I don''t think "a person" understood. You can''t distrebute your programs and tell everyone to download the run-times at microsofts... Thats stupid.
http://www.favorware.com/products/fusion.shtml

But a person is right, don''t force people to use up extra space if practical, if it is a CD, then who cares, they are only 1 and a bit mb.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement