Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steveharper101

Finding the modem speed

Hi i am trying to find the Windows API or MFC functions i can use to grab how much data is been sent through a netowrk connection (ie the internet) so i can calculate how many k/s it''s downloading. Just like the one dat you have when u download programs through standered IE. The problem is i can''t find any API calls at all that will alow me to do this. Is it possible? and if so how would i go about doing it? Steve

I''m pretty sure the only way you can figure this out (and the way the programs show you) is to calculate it yourself. If you''re downloading something, just display how many bytes you''ve downloaded/number of seconds that have elapsed.

What are you using to transfer the file? Winsock? WinInet? DirectPlay? Have you written your own TDI driver? We need more info.

There is a standard SNMP library for windows known as the IP Helper API, but that''s not the right way for you to measure how much of a specific file is downloaded. It would report the total number of bytes sent which will measure packet overhead and any other transfers taking place.

Thanks for the help man. Yeh I am creating an application soley for measuring the internet speed and displaying it in different ways (Mbit''s/s Kbits/second, Kbyte/s. I need the simplest way to measure how much data is recieved, so i can time how much has been recieved in a second

Thanks Loads :-)

Steve

AHH, so not just monitoring for your program, but monitoring the network. Very well then, IP Helper would probably be your best bet. I misunderstood the problem.

Have fun. =)

Edited by - JonStelly on February 7, 2002 2:19:29 PM