Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheThief

FPS Thing

TheThief    122
I had a really weird dream last night, and I got an idea from it: What if the primary goal of the game was to kill ONE guy. (For revenge or something) The game would be set in a populated city, and you''d need to find and kill ONE guy. No levels/missions/hordes of enemies, just ONE guy. There would be one "level" in the entire game, the "city" and you''d hunt after this guy until you kill him. The problem is making the rest of the game interesting so players have something to do while they''re looking. Just a ramble? Has this been done? Tim

Skunkworks    122
Sounds intereasting, I''d buy it if

A:It involved talking to people finding out details about the person.

B:It had things you had to figure out and accomplish(like puzzles) before you could acctually catch him

Bottomline: Innovative and very realistic!
Dan S
Skunkworks

Hikeeba    122
Does sound more like an FPA. I don''t see how an adventure game in first person would be any better than the standard adventure game.

Now, if you could cause some major chaos along the way, GTA3 like, you might have something.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.

benfinkel    136
I just wanted to say I didn''t mean to sound so negative.

I just think that you''re talking more about an Adventure style game, with some action elements of course.

I agree that most FPS games seem to really focus on "kill everything in sight". Why not a hunt and chase scene through a crowded Mall full of innocent civilians? A police style game where you don''t even know who the bad guys is until he draws a weapon on you.

--Ben

TobiasS    122
quote:
Why not a hunt and chase scene through a crowded Mall full of innocent civilians?

My guess would be because the average gamer would swear something about a missing rocketlauncher just moments before he starts a huge massacre. Bye, bye.. Innocent civilians!

TheThief    122
Offshoot: The guy you''re hunting is trying to kill you too.

Hitman is somewaht different. The entire game is composed of small situtation-based areas, and there''s no searching phase, you have a lot of tactical data beforehand.

In my idea, the key is continuousness(Is that even a word?

I want the player to play the ENTIRE game without any sort of location-shift.

I envision a sequence where you''ve gotten a tip from somebody that the guy you''re hunting lives in some apartment on 2nd street. So you go there, on a bus, or a car, then, go into the building, and some sort of shootout ensues. All this with no cutscenes

About the adventure/shooter thing, does it really matter how you categorize it?

Tim

Wavinator    2017
quote:
Original post by TheThief
I envision a sequence where you''ve gotten a tip from somebody that the guy you''re hunting lives in some apartment on 2nd street. So you go there, on a bus, or a car, then, go into the building, and some sort of shootout ensues. All this with no cutscenes

I think what would make this really cool is if you added a bunch of social context stuff: For instance, you pull out a gun in a crowded area, and people scream and start fleeing. Nearby cops get into it. More cops come.

You''d probably want less of a traditional shooter damage model, and more of a Counterstrike theme. Since you''re not wading through tons of enemies, individual shots have to count that much more.

Smart AI for cops and the main badguy would be a must.

As mentioned above, a touch of detective style sleuthing, ruffing people up, bribes, threats, and vehicle / foot (/horse? as in True Lies? ) chases would be cool.

quote:

About the adventure/shooter thing, does it really matter how you categorize it?

Actually, I think it does for two reasons: One, so that people who aren''t interested (or who are) are rightly directed to the game and don''t get upset about mis-classification; and two, so that during development, everyone''s clear on what''s being made, and you don''t have people trying to put in tons of shooter elements or hordes of badguys that don''t belong.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...

TheThief    122
Wav: Yeah, that''s exactly what I''m thinking. The damage model should be extremely realistic; For example, if you''re shot and you survive, you need to get to a hospital, or you might bleed to death. If you walk into a red-light and get hit by a car, well, *SPLAT*.

On FPS/FPA, how bout just FP

Tim

Siebharinn    122
Obviously the game up until the final confrontation is trying to find the guy. Either interacting with people, following up on clues, exploring places, etc.

It would need a fairly involved story line. Maybe the man is a serial murderer, and the longer you take to find him, the more victims pile up. Done creatively, the victims can drop dynamic clues that help point the player in the right direction if he gets totally lost.

Once the bad guy knows the player is trying to track him down, he starts setting traps, leaving taunts and misleading clues, that sort of thing.

Something like that could be a lot of fun. By the time you get to the end, you''ve got a personal reason to whack the guy.

Take care,
Bill

Oluseyi    2112
quote:
Original post by Siebharinn
It would need a fairly involved story line. Maybe the man is a serial murderer, and the longer you take to find him, the more victims pile up.

Ever seen Bone Collector (Denzel Washington, Angelina Jolie)? The antagonist could have suffered some perceived injustice at your hands and could therefore be purposely dropping clues to draw you in, and his grand finale would be killing you.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

Symphonic    313
It''s funny this topic should just crop up half an hour after I was thinking about a similar idea. You guys have all seen One right (Jet Lee, Jet Lee, and Jet Lee). I was thinking it would be cool to be one of two very powerful beings in a massive city (sci-fi or fantasy both work for this). You''re trying to kill your counterpart before he/she does something terrible (unleashes unspeakable evil upon the world).

So a large part of the game would be spent trying to gather information, but when you finally tracked the guy down, you two would have the aeon''s own battle to fight out (including superpowers and massive explosions, buildings collapsing around you, etc.)

Such Fun!

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!

Siebharinn    122
quote:

Ever seen Bone Collector (Denzel Washington, Angelina Jolie)?

Good call, that''s exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote that!! I would like to see the story unfold a little differently, but the same basic idea.

Take care,
Bill

superpig    1825
I think it would work better if the guy had some (read: a few) henchmen who you also had to deal with. Perhaps a gangland theme.

The problems with the whole ''only one'' thing:

* replay value - unless you set up a series of different stories/levels
* overhype - constantly building the player up over the entire game with no release of tension could result in them being disappointed once the mission is complete. The whole ''that''s it? All that work for this?''
* temptation - unless you give the player their weapon right at the end, they''re going to be wanting to use it...

But yeah, a game involving loads of ''bystanders'' could be interesting...

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates
- sleeps in a ham-mock at www.thebinaryrefinery.cjb.net

Tacit    122
It''s a great idea, The Thief. The same kind of structure could be used for any kind of ''detective looking for criminal'' type game, anything from Sherlock Holmes and on...

Focus    122
I think a limited opponant number FPS is a great idea. However, especially with what superpig said, I think you could pull it off better with a few more confrontations (perhaps unarmed, perhaps with more peripheral figures) else the game might not have enough of an ''action'' theme to it. I don''t mean just adding them randomly, an have them come running at you aka Max Payne; rather chases (on foot, in cars, by air) or perhaps a tense ''stalk em up'' in an atmospheric setting such as a heavy industrial site.

However, if you did try to make it into a dramatical thing rather than anything else, would a straightforward gunfight (even with the ''villians exposition'' speech at the end) be satisfying to a player who has spent much of the previous game with more cerebral chalenges.

With regards to motivation? - Are there any other alternatives to the law/moralaity of player (illegal to murder e.t.c) why the player would want to avoid killing? I.e: is there another type of charecter that can kill, but in a small number of situations, other than a policeman?

If you want to know exactly how it should go, watch The Day of the Jackal (the original Edward Fox version, not the crummy American remake).

To make the game interesting as you lead up to the final head shot or whatever, the key is the PLANNING. Have the player scout around the town looking for decent killing zones for an ambush, infiltrate offices to find out about the targets planned movements, eliminate possible witnesses first, get a decent customised weapon, and smuggle it across the border and into the town. The player will need lots of preparation in order to make a decent kill. If the player doesn''t carry out the operation properly, have the target escape to another city and strt the whole process again.

And the most important part, they have to be able to ESCAPE to a safe house after the kill.

TheThief    122
Thanks for all the contributions guys. With regards to story, this could go in all sorts of directions. I''m focusing on more of the concept and how I could make the general game mor einteresting. The challenge is balancing the action parts of the game with the puzzle/adventure parts. It would be really stupid if most of the game is a mind-game with your target(say.... a terrorist or something) and the last 5 minutes is an all out gunfight that requires "Quake God" reflexes.

Limited opponents....yeah, that was the original idea, but an opponent doesn''t necessarily have to be one person, just one unified entity. Maybe it''s two serial killers who are working together and you''re a detective or something....

Anyway, this is getting interesting.

Tim

Focus    122
I like the serial killer idea. Of course, I think more than two or so enemies would be needed in a game, to balance the action a bit. I suppose you could have the cop you controlled respond to other things as well (such as calls for backup) which might or might not be linked (more not linked than linked, so it doesn''t feel too set up).

I haven''t seen the original Day of the Jackel, but I thought the American version was quite good. I think that''s what there trying for with Hitman 2.

sjdibble    122
I suppose that if you were worried about not having enough action until the end, why not have a small group of targets to be taken out one by one. The film that comes to mind along a similar theme is Blade Runner.

Stephen