FPS Thing

Started by
20 comments, last by TheThief 22 years, 2 months ago
I had a really weird dream last night, and I got an idea from it: What if the primary goal of the game was to kill ONE guy. (For revenge or something) The game would be set in a populated city, and you''d need to find and kill ONE guy. No levels/missions/hordes of enemies, just ONE guy. There would be one "level" in the entire game, the "city" and you''d hunt after this guy until you kill him. The problem is making the rest of the game interesting so players have something to do while they''re looking. Just a ramble? Has this been done? Tim
Advertisement
Sounds intereasting, I''d buy it if

A:It involved talking to people finding out details about the person.

B:It had things you had to figure out and accomplish(like puzzles) before you could acctually catch him

Bottomline: Innovative and very realistic!
Dan S
Skunkworks
Would that just be a First Person Adventure game, not a First Person Shooter?

--Ben
--Ben Finkel
Sounds like Hitman.

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Does sound more like an FPA. I don''t see how an adventure game in first person would be any better than the standard adventure game.

Now, if you could cause some major chaos along the way, GTA3 like, you might have something.

I wanna'' ride on the pope mobile.
I just wanted to say I didn''t mean to sound so negative.

I just think that you''re talking more about an Adventure style game, with some action elements of course.

I agree that most FPS games seem to really focus on "kill everything in sight". Why not a hunt and chase scene through a crowded Mall full of innocent civilians? A police style game where you don''t even know who the bad guys is until he draws a weapon on you.

--Ben
--Ben Finkel
quote:Why not a hunt and chase scene through a crowded Mall full of innocent civilians?

My guess would be because the average gamer would swear something about a missing rocketlauncher just moments before he starts a huge massacre. Bye, bye.. Innocent civilians!
A good source for ideas:
The Terminator

Edited by - Michalson on February 7, 2002 5:34:26 PM
Offshoot: The guy you''re hunting is trying to kill you too.

Hitman is somewaht different. The entire game is composed of small situtation-based areas, and there''s no searching phase, you have a lot of tactical data beforehand.

In my idea, the key is continuousness(Is that even a word?

I want the player to play the ENTIRE game without any sort of location-shift.

I envision a sequence where you''ve gotten a tip from somebody that the guy you''re hunting lives in some apartment on 2nd street. So you go there, on a bus, or a car, then, go into the building, and some sort of shootout ensues. All this with no cutscenes

About the adventure/shooter thing, does it really matter how you categorize it?

Tim
quote:Original post by TheThief
I envision a sequence where you''ve gotten a tip from somebody that the guy you''re hunting lives in some apartment on 2nd street. So you go there, on a bus, or a car, then, go into the building, and some sort of shootout ensues. All this with no cutscenes

I think what would make this really cool is if you added a bunch of social context stuff: For instance, you pull out a gun in a crowded area, and people scream and start fleeing. Nearby cops get into it. More cops come.

You''d probably want less of a traditional shooter damage model, and more of a Counterstrike theme. Since you''re not wading through tons of enemies, individual shots have to count that much more.

Smart AI for cops and the main badguy would be a must.

As mentioned above, a touch of detective style sleuthing, ruffing people up, bribes, threats, and vehicle / foot (/horse? as in True Lies? ) chases would be cool.

quote:
About the adventure/shooter thing, does it really matter how you categorize it?

Actually, I think it does for two reasons: One, so that people who aren''t interested (or who are) are rightly directed to the game and don''t get upset about mis-classification; and two, so that during development, everyone''s clear on what''s being made, and you don''t have people trying to put in tons of shooter elements or hordes of badguys that don''t belong.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement