Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dj_culprit

raw diskette reading

dj_culprit    122
I would like to do some raw diskette reading/writing, first I begin by reseting the drive(IRQ #13, REG_everything = 0?) Then to read I would use those params: (Ralph Browns interrupt list) " INT 13 - DISK - READ SECTOR(S) INTO MEMORY AH = 02h AL = number of sectors to read (must be nonzero) CH = low eight bits of cylinder number CL = sector number 1-63 (bits 0-5) high two bits of cylinder (bits 6-7, hard disk only) DH = head number DL = drive number (bit 7 set for hard disk) ES:BX -> data buffer Return: CF set on error if AH = 11h (corrected ECC error), AL = burst length CF clear if successful AH = status (see #00234) AL = number of sectors transferred (only valid if CF set for some BIOSes) " Well, guess if I had it working Tried with the following values: AX = #0202 CX = #0000 DX = #0000 ES = high byte //tried swapping those two BX = low byte // interrupts return: for disk reset(dec, "," seperation) 0,0,0,0,0,0,2,12870,0,0 and read returns(hex, "," seperation) 0,0,0,47,0,0,200,3297,E038,0 first number being REG_DI, numbers are: REG_DI = 1 REG_SI = 2 REG_BP = 3 REG_BX = 4 REG_DX = 5 REG_CX = 6 REG_AX = 7 REG_FLAGS = 8 REG_ES = 9 REG_DS = 10 BTW: I did have a diskette in the diskette driver So no need to verify that ok?

jenova    122
this will work in MS-DOS and Win9x (very easy to get ring 0 access in Win9x).
this will not work in WinNT/2K/XP (unless you create a VxD).

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

dj_culprit    122
allocate 10240 bytes of low memory, put high bits in ES and low bits BX
(
IRQin[REG_BX] = floor(memsegment/#10000) //get high bits
IRQin[REG_ES] = remainder(memsegment, #10000) //get low bits
)

sets memory segment to 10''s, try interrupt, read memory segment, still 10''s(in pure DOS)