Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hundel

Terrain Decals?

hundel    144
I''ve got my picture-perfect terrain - now for the quaint gravel road. Any ideas for "decaling" a curving road over many polygons. I would accept solutions involving texture blending, masking, etc. I probably would reject vertex coloring solutions (with low LOD, road may be less than one polygon in width), and structural solutions(too many extra polygons). Your thoughts? :^)

VladR    722
If you don`t want to do it through extra polygons or vertex colors, your only chance is another texture layer. What`s wrong with it ? If you have terrain, you need many texture layers, this one is just the last one of them, and it can be the same texture within which you have those decals and other stuff that shall not be on whole terrain (i.e. the same thing as with model texture). You can put into this texture footsteps, explosion marks, shooting marks, simply whatever that shall be in your terrain in small quantities.

hundel    144
Vlad - that''s the type of advice I was looking for. Can you describe some specifics or point me to the right tutorial? For example, what texture addressing mode (border color with a transparent border), etc?