A new game idea?

Started by
6 comments, last by Imp-perial 22 years, 2 months ago
I''m not quite sure if this idea has been done before in video games, but i have a hunch it has. Well, my idea is like a mixture of EverQuest and Unreal Tournament? Don''t get thrown off yet, i know it may sound stupid. But anyways it''s like Unreal Tournament basically(For those who do not know, which i''m sure most people do, Unreal Tournament is a first person shooter game), but you get experience and stuff for killing enemies and can level up. And you would also be able to buy items and more weapons to trade or sell. It''d have the same NPC layout and all too with Ever Quest type graphics. Has this been done, and is this an ok game idea? I have a feeling this is like that game Anarchy Online, but I wouldn''t know considering i''ve never played the game. But I just have a feeling what i just described is Anarchy Online or that new game PlanetSide. Well thanks for listening, tell me what ya think. ...Oh BTW, sorry i left this out...the setting is in a Futuristic/Medieval world. You could also play as Races and all.
Alex Pinkston (I guess this is what your asking)
Advertisement
Like a massively multiplayer first person shooter.

I''ve heard that there was something like this in development (PlanetSide may be what I heard about). It could be a very cool game, as long as there were some checks and balances.

You''d need to be careful about how much XP you got for killing someone or lost for being killed, since it seems death would be more often occurring and thus present less of an impact. Like DaOC, a few levels below you should result in little or no XP, while getting killed by someone a few levels ahead of you should result in little or no loss.

The player would need a way to quickly identify any threats in their vicinity to keep a mild-appearing 35th level jerk from walking up and popping you in the head.

And then the sheer logistics would be difficult. FPS games are very hair-trigger, reflex oriented stuff. In a MMORPG they can avoid little delays and such with a turn-based style of combat, but by definition a MMOFPS would have to be very action oriented combat and the volume that MM insinuates would be very detrimental to that effect.

All in all sounds cool though, I''d certainly give it a whirl.

--Ben
--Ben Finkel
Yes, this what PlanetSide is supposed to be... we''ll see if they can pull it off.

Personally, I don''t believe such a game is truly technologically possible (yet). This is the same reason we don''t see 128-player Quake3 servers.

Oh, and incidentaly... a small fact that everyone seems to forget (since the release of Unreal Tournament)... originally Unreal was supposed to feature "portals" that allowed you to link to other servers. Before the game came out people were clamoring to create meta-portal servers to link tons of Unreal servers together. Needless to say, this didn''t happen... not only did this feature never materialize, but multiplayer Unreal over anything slower than a local LAN was utterly broken.
quote:the setting is in a Futuristic/Medieval world.

Besides pulling off all that technical stuff, I''d like to see the Futuristic/Medieval world get pulled off...sort of an oxymoron (aka Futuristic and Medieval are completely different from one another).

w00t
w00t
I always liked the Mad Max movies. They kinda had a futuristic
Midevil world...their society was post future apocolyptic, and
they had a primitive society that lived off the inventions
of past.

-Lohrno
well technically it would be impossible if you look at it literial. i think he means (he better, heh) something along how cowboy bebop was futuristic/old west or trigun (which is also futuristic/old west). where you have futuristic technologies, but they have a stylized medival look and feel. it may be difficult to pull of well because a balance must be set. you can base things on magic which run the devices. throw in some dragons (i know, not realistic medievil, but medevil settings can contain some fantasy elements) and maybe a few retractable lances, along with spiffy ion sheilds and plasma broadswords (ok maybe i am pushing it, heh). you get the idea though. its all about mixing the styles. also character design plays into this as well. a good use of clothing will be required as well. basically use stylized medievil clothing which use a more modern materials and look. its difficult to explain, mainly because its more of a visual thing. mixing styles is a daunting task. so go out and buy some anime and movies that do this.
Thanks guys, for all the replies. Your right....the more I think of it, the harder it will be to pull off this kind of game because of the techinal stuff. I might make a design document and give it a shot, but we''ll see how far I get. And your right, mixing the two time ages and making characters would be a rather daunting task.
I read more and more information on this game PlanetSide? My game idea seems very similiar to the planetside game idea. Would I be just completely ripping off this game? Or could mine be more of an upgraded PlanetSide, pulled off better?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement