• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sarlok

"unresolved external symbol _main ; Error running link.exe"

This topic is 5980 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So very frustrating. I''ve basically put together a skeleton window, It gives me that error. I decided to try editing another program I made, and taking out the things I added to the message loop and window class (just a pair of icons, etc), also removing un-need files and headers from the workspace (resource.h, menu.h, ICO_1.ico, etc). In all respects, reducing it to a mirror image of the new one I made from scratch. I recompiled, and away it went. Hmm. That''s fine. I copy the source code for my now working duplicate, and copy it into a new file. I do the same with stdafx.h (not that there''s much left in it anyway), hit compile/run and bam. I get that linker error message again. Am I not defining something that somehow stops the linker? I''ve gone through my source code numerous times, and there *is no difference* from the version that works, to the version that doesn''t, except for the fact that the version that works, was cut down from a goofy little window I made that detects mouse clicks, had a menu, and some icons. For those interested, the source code: Note: I Don''t know the UBB tag that lets me keep code nested and ''small''. Allthough, I wouldn''t mind knowing. -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ #include "stdafx.h" const char g_szClassName[] = "myWindowClass"; LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT msg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam) { switch(msg) { case WM_CLOSE: DestroyWindow(hwnd); break; case WM_DESTROY: PostQuitMessage(0); break; default: return DefWindowProc(hwnd, msg, wParam, lParam); } return 0; } int WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE hInstance, HINSTANCE hPrevInstance, LPSTR lpCmdLine, int nCmdShow) { WNDCLASSEX wc; HWND hwnd; MSG Msg; wc.cbSize = sizeof(WNDCLASSEX); wc.style = 0; wc.lpfnWndProc = WndProc; wc.cbClsExtra = 0; wc.cbWndExtra = 0; wc.hInstance = hInstance; wc.hIcon = 0; wc.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW); wc.hbrBackground = (HBRUSH)(COLOR_WINDOW); wc.lpszMenuName = 0; wc.lpszClassName = g_szClassName; wc.hIconSm = 0; if(!RegisterClassEx(&wc)) { MessageBox(NULL, "Error at: RegisterClassEx(&wc)", "Fail", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK); return 0; } hwnd = CreateWindowEx(WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, g_szClassName, "A Window", WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, 320, 240, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL); if(hwnd == NULL) { MessageBox(NULL, "Error at: hwnd == NULL", "Fail", MB_ICONEXCLAMATION | MB_OK); return 0; } ShowWindow(hwnd, nCmdShow); UpdateWindow(hwnd); while(GetMessage(&Msg, NULL, 0, 0)) { TranslateMessage(&Msg); DispatchMessage(&Msg); } return Msg.wParam; } // End -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Contents of stdafx.h #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN // Tried removing this. #include <windows.h> -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ That''s it. Thanks.

Advertisement
Go to Project Settings->Link and check your subsystem (in the Project Options edit box).

If it''s /subsystem:console, you can either change it to /subsystem:windows or delete the option and let it be determined automatically .

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!