• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

amish1234

multiplying D3DVECTORS

This topic is 5981 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m making a collision detection system in D3D. This involves calculations such as : D3DXVECTOR a,b,c; a = b*c; My compiler (MS Visual C++) gives me errors, saying that struct_D3DVECTOR does not define (* and =) as operators, or give an acceptable conversion. (errors C2679 and C2678). The "=" problem could be solved my making my own vertex class/struct, "MyVector", and making the constructor like this: MyVector(int). (don''t understand it, got it from MSDN library). Is there a similar way I can make multiplication work? Also, I''ve seen equations where someone will make a float = the Product of 2 Vectors - a float: float a,d; D3DXVECTOR P,N; a = P*N-d; Even if * would work, how can a float equal the product of 2 D3DVECTORs, when D3DVECTORs have x, y and z members, plus a whole lot of other variables I''m not using. BTW, it doesn''t work with D3DXVECTOR3 either. The system I''m making is very similar to this one: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1026.asp Thanx Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.

Advertisement
Um, you can't multiply two vectors. A vector by a scalar yes. You can do the cross or dot product. But multiplying? No.

If "they"'re doing float = vec1 * vec2 then they've overloaded the "*" operator to work as a dot product which gives you (x1x2 + y1y2 + z1z2).

If you don't know basic vector math then I don't think you're quite ready for a collsion detection system. CD is the toughest thing you'll ever do in game programming, I reckon.

- seb

Edited by - bsxrider on February 7, 2002 7:30:56 PM

First, bsxrider, yes and no. You can multiply a ''vector'' by ''vector''; remember, vector is only a special case of matrix. Though, result will be scalar. (something like vec_a = vec_b * transpose(vec_b) , using non mathematical notation ) ...

Then. Amish;
You probably want either cross- or dotproduct; probably latter, considering you''re trying to do collision detection. D3D defines
DotProduct and CrossProduct methods; use them. Of course you have to #define D3D_OVERLOADS before including d3d.h for these to work...

D3DVECTOR a,b,c,d;
float f;
a = DotProduct(b,c)*f - d;

In my mind a vector is always a single column. I''m aware that transposing it would make multiplication but then it''s a 3x1 matrix, not a vector.

- seb

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!