Forcing the player to gamble (cursed items, etc)

Started by
18 comments, last by Wavinator 22 years, 2 months ago
Taking the risk isn't a bad way to go I think. There was this one game Fast Food Tycoon, basicly build a fast food chain empire sort of thing. You hire your chef and whoever and let them go about there business while you focus on other things. Eventually you notice sales have dropped in the one restraunt so you take a look and find the one chef has been steeling so you fire his ass and hire a new guy temporarily with awful stats. Turns out with a little training he's the most loyal, usefull employee you got. Later you find the first chef out on the street begging for work and with a profound hatred of you.

I thought it was pretty cool like this. Only thing is, after you have a pile of restraunts you feel like you're being micromanaged to death when things like this come up.

Just a few thoughts about a case that sounds similar.

Edited by - kseh on February 8, 2002 2:38:57 PM
Advertisement
quote:Original post by CaptainJester
To summarize, your intuition gives you a feeling, but you don''t know if they are lying about their skills or about not being a criminal, etc...

EDIT: ps. I like the idea of not knowing exactly what you are getting, but I think it should be balanced by the player''s experience within the game and he will get better at hiring the right people, eventually.

Wow! This is a great idea! Actually, rather than a seperate stat (unless I can use it for something else), the player’s "experience" level could more accurately tell them whether or not the person is a good bet. There would always be a margin for error, but it would go down the more experience the player had. (I also like the intuition stat, and may use that if I can find other uses in game for it, like with trade deals & such).

Another mutation of this idea: experience by society / culture. It might add flavor to modify experience at taking a risk based on whether or not you’ve interacted with the crewman’s culture. (Meaning you may not necessarily know if an alien is lying unless you’ve had experience).

quote:Original post by Silvermyst
Definitely go for the gamble approach.

Like Bishop_pass mentioned, applicants could have licensed degrees, or maybe a recommendation from a renowned officer. Of course, licenses can be forged, recommendations could be false. You might be able to enlist the help of a specialize crewmember who has learned all about forgeries (useless trait while traveling through the galaxy, but priceless when trying to get new members on your team). You might have a crewmember who knows all the latest gossip, and who might just know that that new crewmember is lying when he says he flew with captain X.

Yes, these are good ideas, too, and could be applied to other things the player has to gamble on (like cargo, or parts, or information).

quote:
Perhaps your setting allows for some alien being that can actually read minds to a certain degree. Again, this being would be valuable when scanning applicants, not so valuable when trying to fight off pirates in space.

Hah, a “Captain, I sense something” Deanna Troi style empath! I like it, and it would add yet another cool character type, especially if the psi character could be used elsewhere.

So at one level or another, you’re basically buying resources that help minimize the risk...

quote:Original post by Ronin_54
how many crewmembers are we talking about?

Not exactly sure, yet, but the idea is that you’re mostly worried about senior people that get promoted as you go up in rank. Junior crew are a bit more generic, so even if you have a crew of 1000 you only worry about n out of 1000.

I see n as anywhere from 15 to 50. But this is another area of debate, as my friend thinks you should be able to acquire as many as you desire to manage. Still not sure about this, yet, and a lot depends on how interesting it is to futz with them, and how many times you have to continuously do it. The more you do, the less crew you should have to manage.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I think Ronin_54''s question is key.

I''ll add to that: How much time and effort is the player going to spend on managing personnel as opposed to other activities?

Hmmm... this is a toughie. Initial selection should be fast, say 2-10 minutes when you dock. The “interview” process should be lightening quick, because it’s not really interesting (in depth).

What will take more time is the quirks and events that arise from the crew you’ve acquired. This should be at least 20% of the gameplay. So that initial selection time has potentially serious effects.

quote:
How many choices will the player typically have when looking to hire someone?

I haven’t worked this out. Easiest approach is the “BBS” shopping list idea: Candidate name, contract cost, skills, and any special notes. Select and “buy,” just like equipment.

Each station might have different list boards, like “ex-military” or “academy” or “freelancers.”

Vague options I can think of per each candidate might be:
* history – generates a brief psuedo-history
* investigate – pay cash to verify candiate info
* put on retainer – pay to save a candidate that you like for X months

and (?)
* place an ad – pay to increase chance that someone with skills you want will pop up (probably by day, which is also a time cost that you pay to sit around doing nothing while waiting for someone to show up)

quote:
How easy is it to remove or change crews? Are there any performance penalties for making a change (think shifting around members of a sports team - temporarily increased inefficiency)?

Crewmembers can be dismissed at any time, but they still take up resources until you get to a suitable base / colony. There’s no penalty for swapping them.

quote:
Does developing detailed info about each crew member fit with the overall vision of the game? Are the crew simple and disposable tokens or does the game include them in detailed interaction (speech, away missions, whatever)?

I see them as relatively simple stat modifiers and resource users at one level. Interaction will probably be limited to placing them at stations; sending them on abstract assignments (away missions where they disappear and occassionally report); and dealing with the situations and events that they attract / generate / influence. No speech or character interaction, unfortunately.

Thanks JSwing, excellent clarifying questions!

--------------------
quote:Original post by kseh
There was this one game Fast Food Tycoon...

Thanks for the example, it gives me some ideas. I like the idea that the quickest way to determine a character''s worth is to eventually look at your balance sheet.

quote:
Only thing is, after you have a pile of restraunts you feel like you''re being micromanaged to death when things like this come up.

Yeah, I think the way to do this and keep it viable is a management pyramid. You start out managing everybody, then promoting people who automatically add their own staff, from say "local, regional, divisional" levels on up. But you''re always only managing the same number of people, hiring or replacing them as needed.

--------------------
quote:Original post by superpig
Perhaps linking the histories into what the player has discovered. For example, if you come across a ship that has crashed due to (after inspection) engine failure, and later come across the person who claims to have served aboard that ship as chief engineer...

LOL! I like this, though I think it''s a bit more intricate than I was going for. Although, maybe I could tie the generation of certain major events (like a rousing success or disaster) to events. Let me think about this!

--------------------
Gangsters anyone...? You hired your own lieutenants (and they got their own people). You only "control" the lieutenants (sending them on missions) and they will send the right people ^_^
I like the idea of not being entirely sure of what you''re getting. I also don''t think it''s considered ''unfair'' if the player is given opportunities to discover exactly what they''ve hired over time, the ability to remove rotten apples is always available, and the impact any rotten apples have on gameplay is substantial but not unbalancing.

Expansions on given ideas that would make things even more interesting...

Intuition, detect forgery, investigation... as skills are wonderful, even more wonderful is when opposing skills are available, like lying ability (it''s well known some people are better liars then others), create forged documents, covert abilities (skill at performing actions without leaving compromising evidence) A psi ability would require a resistance against psi ability type of stat.

The ability to rehabilitate bad apples would be nice too, though some apples would be tougher (or impossible) to rehab then others, and it''s not necessarily based on the severity of their negative traits. A drunken pilot could be next to impossible to rehab, while a thieving cook may need to just be shown the error of his ways.
I wasn't going to post anything here, because I figured I wouldn't be able to really add anything. Well, I've been thinking and I may have come up with something. In the RPG's, cursed items suck, and hurt the player for a bit, but they aren't permanent. On top of this, they are a penalty for the player having done something stupid, i.e. using a magic item without finding out what it is, first.

In the example for the spacer crew, I would give the clues as has been suggested already, but for each one, allow the player to fire/relieve from duty/whatever the crewman and take over themselves in that position. Think of a naval vessel in present day. If the Captain decides the guy at the helm is drunk, and no one else is available, what's he going to do? He's going to kick the hell out of the guy and drive the boat himself.

To keep this from being "abused", you could hard code a limit to what the player could do themselves and actually make the player put forth effort to do it. I could see (for example) a player being able to work helm and communications at the same time, barring problems reaching consoles and such. You might decide this is too much. Maybe to be effective, they can only do one. Whatever. It's your game.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is it presents a way for the player who PAYS ATTENTION to see the problem early and correct it before something bad happens. By making it more effort you will make sure they want to hire someone as soon as possible.

Edited by - ShadeStorm on February 12, 2002 7:02:25 AM
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
Woohoo, glad to see a thread that actually gets my imagination going. Wish I had something to add, I''m still thinking about everything thats already been brought up.
This is some good stuff. Ive been working on a political type game for the last few months and I have come up with some stuff regarding NPC''s...

I have about 250 politicians.
Their stats include personaility, goal, temperment, ideology, and a few other grey stats.

I set up a process when a player begins a new game:
I take a politician and generate his personality (Hedonist, Traditionalist, Idealogist, Rationalist) partially based on randomness and partially on what his close associations (family) are.
From this a few stats are derived or modified. I try to keep away from randomness as much as possible after personality.

Anyways, at the end, all the factors are taken into accout to generate a matrix of all the NPC''s and their relations to each other.
Say 5 politicians...

0 7 6 5 9 2
9 0 8 2 4 2
6 8 0 3 5 7
9 2 4 0 5 9
1 2 8 4 0 6
3 5 2 8 9 0

There is my matrix. I also somehow have a way to predict and control interaction (havent figured that part out yet, mostly a resources problem), and whenever the people interact, then their relation ship, ideology, personality, etc are figured to find out what they are talking about, and what they will come away thinking of each other.

For the PC, if he wants to scheck out one of these, he sees a few things, like Apparent loyalty, Apparent trust Apparent skills, which are not actual loyalty, just what the PC thinks they are at the time

M2C, hope it helps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement