DirectX7 code not workin with SDK 8!!

Started by
18 comments, last by Woody FX 22 years, 2 months ago
The SDK install does NOT over-write the includes in the MSVC dir. It puts them in the SDK/include dir. You have to set up your directories in MSVC to look in the SDKs includes first.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
Advertisement
this is why ppl should RTFM. the sdk install explcitly tells you how to set it up. it actually will set the directories up for you, assuming you pick that option (well the dx8 sdk did, so i assume the dx8.1 does as well). btw this question (about compiling dd7 apps with dx8.1 sdk) has been asked and answered a few times on the board already.
a person: RTFM is one thing, Understanding TFM and correctly following it is something all beginners fail to do at some point. That''s why these boards exist. Get down of your high horse and if you can''t add anything constructive to a thread, leave it alone.

Hyatus: Incidentally, I also reformatted and reinstalled everything just before I tried getting this to work, in fact it is one of the reasons I took the time to try it since I have a lot of DX7 code of my own and this was the first thing I tried to compile without the version 7 sdk on the hard drive. If you have to resort to moving libs and headers from their installed directory then you are not setting up your VC paths correctly. Moving these files around is a bad thing to do for all sorts of reasons.

Cheers

Matt

Last time I installed the DXSDK, it asked me whether I wanted it
to have MSVC be configured for the pathnames and such.
I got no such dialog this time.

Seeing as how it was so damned long ago that I installed the SDK,
I had forgotten that it should''ve given me the option.

Still, yeah, I could''ve made it point to the dxsdk directories.
However, seeing as how MSVC already had DX5 installed in it''s
OWN include&lib directories, I don''t see the harm in copying over
the newest version.

-Hyatus
"da da da"
Well, Hyatus. If you think that is the right thing to do, then I really can''t help you (j/k). Whatever you do in life- especially in programming, someone will always poke you in the ribs and say "I know a better way to do that". This is just one of those times

- Matt

i did add something constructive. suggesting to look through the forum where other ppl had this SAME problem. this is helpful since he may not have realized this. i agree understanding and reading are different and most times ppl have trouble understanding what they are reading when the first start. i had problems before, but i would reread the docs. do research and TRY to understand what was going wrong. in the end i would figure it out, maybe not as fast as if i asked the question here, but then again i learned so much more about how things worked, this allowing me to better understand other similar problems. many ppl give up to earlier, they spend two hours and give up. they dont bother doing any research to see if previous ppl have had this problem. they resort to formating (?!??!) the harddrive to fix things. ppl today i notice are more interested in how to fix things and not why the fix works or what the problem was.

please dont be quick to judge. someone who posts the same code twice and says he changed things obviously is not paying attention to something.
Did not post the same topic twice in the same forum!!

Posted Originally in The Programming Forum but told to post here on the DirectX Forum so i did and then later a mod moved my original post over Here as well!!

So it appears i''ve stupidy posted about the same thing Twice!!

Thanks for all that help i''ll try these fix''s and get back to ye!!

Brian
OK i''ve got done everything like setting the libs and includes pointing to c:\mssdk\libs and c:c:\mssdk\includes and moved them to the top of the list...

Put dxguid.lib and ddraw.lib in the project settings links tab!!

Haytus::::SAID:::

Then I looked at the ddraw.h header in the MSVS directory.
It''s not the header it SHOULD be.(and yeah, dx81 sdk was
installed after service pack 5)

I''d copy the header files you need over to the MSVS directory,
or include them from the dxsdk directory.

You may need to move the .lib files as well(they may not be
dx81).

What does that mean!!! You reckon my problem is that i''m pointing to the DirectX version 5 ddraw.libs are something!!

Haytus::::SAID::

I could''ve made it point to the dxsdk directories.

So that is what ive to do then is it??

Thanks Brian

"What does that mean!!! You reckon my problem is that i''m
pointing to the DirectX version 5 ddraw.libs are something!!"

Yeah...you see, MSVC has DX5 installed when you install MSVC.
DX81 SHOULD give you a dialog asking if you want to point your
directories to it''s header and lib folders. Mine didn''t ask and
I''m assuming yours didn''t either.

So, make sure that your DXSDK include and lib directories are set
BEFORE MSVC''s(at least I think they''re supposed to be set
before...it might not matter).

Then it should compile fine(provided there aren''t any other
errors in the code).

-Hyatus
"da da da"
a person: that''s a fair comment. Nuff said.

- Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement