Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ulbdir

MSVC 6 Standard Edition

ulbdir    122
Does anybody have the standard version of MSVC? The Microsoft website is very short on detailed info regarding the difference between the MSVC versions... My problem is, currently I have the educational version of MSVC professional, but want to sell a few things to customers so I will need a full license. So would the standard version be enough (I''m not using all the fancy web stuff that comes with the professional version)?

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Geez... I''ve spoken to Microsoft about this, and at least here in Sweden it''s quite possible to sell something you make with MSVC Academic.

invective    118
You might want to double check the license as to whether or not you can distribute things DEVELOPED with MSVC Acedemic, or things COMPILED with MSVC Acedemic (i would certainly hope its the latter). If its just the compiler that is the issue, try using a free one like borland''s, or buy a better one than what comes with VC6, like the intel compiler, or vectorc, or wait for Visual Studio .Net.

ulbdir    122
Well, I didnt speak to Microsoft because on my box there is a big red sticker saying "Academic Version - not intended for commercial usage"... but I will ask them.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I''ve got a little patch that''ll take care of that for you. You could use that until you can buy the standard version. That''s what I did, I needed to compile some stuff without that academic pop-up about a week before I bought VC++ standard so a friend and I devised a way to allow for it. Let me know if you''re interested. BTW, I only condone piracy (since that is piracy) when the person has full intent to buy the real deal (and soon at that). If you''re just going to take the patch and not buy the product I won''t give it to you. Even if they are M$, they deserve to be paid.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
BTW, are you refering to the Academic version or the Intro version? Is there even a difference? Anyway my fix only works on the Intro version.

ulbdir    122
Thanks, but thats not what I need :-) The academic version is the complete full product (without any popups or nag screens), but sold for a much cheaper price and under a different license.