Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

newb_guy

levels in Direct3D

newb_guy    122
if i was writing a game using first person, would it be "necessary" to use a file format such as .bsp for levels? or would it be possible to create the level in a 3d modeler like MAX and then export to .X and render the world? ( the world will be static ). i''m thinking using.bsp for first person is probably the way to go, but is it possible ( would it run ok ) if i used something else? thanks for the help.

Moe    1256
You can do anything that you can code. You should be able to use any file format for levels that you want to use. The performance of certain file types might not be as good as the .bsp file format because the bsp format has visibility information that helps speed things up.

Moe''s Site

MatthewEva    122
Thats the nice thing about programming you can use whatever takes your fancy. However, If you thinking of creating the whole level in 3D studio you will prob find the frame rate sucks. The idea behind BSP is to only show the areas on the map we can visibly see, bsp is not really a file format as such but a methodology and structure to calculate binary space partitions, i.e. pre calculating the areas a user will see when they traverse the level.Depending on the completexety of your level, if you are a beginner I would suggest starting off by creating an array in memory to hold the map information and showing the walls, area etc. based on the distance from the current user position, that still achieves quite good frame rate and is a good way to learn the basics.

newb_guy    122
thanks alot for the replies! am i correct in thinking then that .bsp holds basically an ascii representation of the level (maybe in a struct form) with texture information?

newb_guy    122
can anyone tell me a program i can use to create levels in .bsp (or similar) format? (obviously quake level editors require the game, which i don''t have )

any help is appreciated.