Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mAdMaLuDaWg

Alternative to 3d Studio MAX

mAdMaLuDaWg    122
Is there an alternative to 3d studio max that has about the same features i.e. animation, modelling etc and for a reasonable price, maybe under 1 Grand. It should also be capable to import it into OpenGL.

ATronic    122
Blender. Free. Full package including animation, and modeling.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I'm using Windows!"

Edited by - ATronic on February 8, 2002 9:17:14 AM

ATronic    122
Good tutorials? No, I''m still trying to learn it myself through trial and error (now THERE''s a long one). But they do sell an official reference that says how to do everything. Were I not in debt right now, I would buy it. Mainly so because the referece and free blender is cheaper than a nice commercial modeling package with similar features. If you have the cash, get the reference. There are also some tutorials on their official site though, I think. I''m yet to have a real chance to check ''em out. Good luck to you.

Alex Broadwin
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"

ATronic    122
They redid their website!
http://www.blender.nl
Looks good. Now I''ll see about them tutorials.

Alex Broadwin
-----

ATronic    122
TUTORIALS FOR BLENDER
http://www.blender3d.com/UsingBlender/tutorials.php

Alex Broadwin
-----

t0ne    124
Milkshape is another low polygon modeller that supports animation etc. It has links to tutorials on the site:

[url]http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html[/url]

BTW it''s shareware.

Slightly shrimpy smell == unsafe breadbin

Kikito    122
I know another two renders that might serve you:

* Anim8or (www.anim8or.com)
- Freeware, small download
- It''s quite small, easy to use and understand. You can
find a tute right in the web page.
- I remember that the file format is quite easy to parse.
And it supports animation, too.

* 3DCanvas (www.amabilis.com)
- Freeware, 7.7 Mb
- Other NOT Free versions (LP and Pro) available.
Anyway, they''re cheap (much more than 3DMAX).
- Animation supported in the freeware version.
- Lots of import/export options. Quite easy to load from
DIRECTX (an X object)
- Tutorials.

I hope this might help you. I have already tried blender and didn''t like it at all, but that''s my personal opinion.

A spanish OpenGL Beginner.

Norge    122
Maya is great. It have got all these features + several more. There is just one bad thing with it. The universal edition cost about 18.000$.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
I don''t know how gmax is from a usability standpoint, but it is insanely expensive to license as a game developer. Way, way, WAY out of an independent developer''s budget.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
original post asks for a modeler that you could import into openGL.

blender has a closed file format. it does export into vrml and dxf, but both of these exports are incomplete -- so you won''t get, for example, texture coordinates.

blender''s whole business model is built on free modeller, licensed viewer. they don''t want you to be able to export/import full blender files.

milkshape 3D, however, has a completely documented file format. you can find many tutorials on the web on modelling and importing milkshape files. futhermore, it has a more complete texture coordinate editor than milkshape, and is also compatible with lithunwrap, when you need a serious uv editor.

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
To back up what I said about gmax being too expensive, here''s what I heard quoted on garagegames [url]http://www.garagegames.com/index.php?sec=mg&mod=forums&page=result.thread&qt=2534[/url]
for the pricing structure of gmax:

Development Phase License:
gmax dev: 2yr, 1 serial number,4 seats = $9,995
gmax dev: Add 1 seat to current s/n (prorate at $125 /month) = $2,500
gmax dev: 1 year renewal (per seat, for every seat on that s/n) = $1,500

Game Pack Distribution Licensing:

1st Named Titled = $85,000
2nd Named Title = $68,000
3rd and greater Named Title = $59,500
Sequel to a preceding Named Title = $15,000
Port of a preceding Named Title to a new OS = $15,000
Marketing Credit: placement of the ''gmax-ready'' logo on Named Title''s physical SKU Worldwide = $5,000

HelplessFool    451
i think there was a way to use the md3 export plugin from the tempest pakage with the standard gmax program to make models, and then from there you can convert them as you want. i personally don''t touch modelers however, since i have no talent at all.

Eber Kain    130
Anonymous Poster : check your facts before you dis blender, you do know it has python support right? With it you can export any model in any format you want, includeing animations and texture coords.

glBegin(MINDLESS_CHANT);

Blender is awsome, accept no substitute.

Edited by - Eber Kain on February 11, 2002 10:01:05 PM

invective    118
I''ve been using truespace since version 1 (which was only $99 when i first bought it). You can get version 4 for only $199. It exports ASCII and X files, which are easy to deal with. If you buy it and register, they will probably send you an upgrade offer for several hundred dollars off for 5.2 (I always get them every version). A free trial is available so you can check it out first: www.caligari.com . Its probably one of the few decent commercial packages under $1000. You might want to just stick with something less expensive until you are really at the point where you need a serious modeling tool.