Alternative to 3d Studio MAX

Started by
18 comments, last by mAdMaLuDaWg 22 years, 2 months ago
Is there an alternative to 3d studio max that has about the same features i.e. animation, modelling etc and for a reasonable price, maybe under 1 Grand. It should also be capable to import it into OpenGL.
-----------------------------"Q: How many Microsoft engineers does it take to change a light bulb?A: None. Bill Gates will just redefine Darkness(TM) as the new industry standard. "~wUn LoVe tO aLl ThE mAlUs OuT tHeRe!~
Advertisement
Blender. Free. Full package including animation, and modeling.

Alex Broadwin
A-Tronic Software & Design
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"The answer is out there."
"Please help, I'm using Windows!"

Edited by - ATronic on February 8, 2002 9:17:14 AM
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
Alex -

I tried using Blender before and found it EXTREMELY confusing. Do you know of any good tutorials for dummies like me to get started with it?

Thanks!

ThomW
www.LMNOpc.com
Good tutorials? No, I''m still trying to learn it myself through trial and error (now THERE''s a long one). But they do sell an official reference that says how to do everything. Were I not in debt right now, I would buy it. Mainly so because the referece and free blender is cheaper than a nice commercial modeling package with similar features. If you have the cash, get the reference. There are also some tutorials on their official site though, I think. I''m yet to have a real chance to check ''em out. Good luck to you.

Alex Broadwin
-----
"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me."
"Please help, I''m using Windows!"
Alex BroadwinA-Tronic Software & Design-----"if you fail in life, you were destined to fail. If you suceed in life, call me.""The answer is out there.""Please help, I'm using Windows!"
They redid their website!
http://www.blender.nl
Looks good. Now I''ll see about them tutorials.

Alex Broadwin
-----
TUTORIALS FOR BLENDER
http://www.blender3d.com/UsingBlender/tutorials.php

Alex Broadwin
-----
Milkshape is another low polygon modeller that supports animation etc. It has links to tutorials on the site:

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/index.html

BTW it''s shareware.

Slightly shrimpy smell == unsafe breadbin
Slightly shrimpy smell == unsafe breadbin
I know another two renders that might serve you:

* Anim8or (www.anim8or.com)
- Freeware, small download
- It''s quite small, easy to use and understand. You can
find a tute right in the web page.
- I remember that the file format is quite easy to parse.
And it supports animation, too.

* 3DCanvas (www.amabilis.com)
- Freeware, 7.7 Mb
- Other NOT Free versions (LP and Pro) available.
Anyway, they''re cheap (much more than 3DMAX).
- Animation supported in the freeware version.
- Lots of import/export options. Quite easy to load from
DIRECTX (an X object)
- Tutorials.

I hope this might help you. I have already tried blender and didn''t like it at all, but that''s my personal opinion.

A spanish OpenGL Beginner.
A spanish OpenGL Beginner.
Blender is the good of freeware, I have a few tuts to get people started.

home.earthlink.net/~eberkain/
www.EberKain.comThere it is, Television, Look Listen Kneel Pray.
yea, try elberkain''s website, it took me only 10 minuites to learn blender!!
..I still dont get the difference between c and c++...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement