• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CamelFly

Debug output

This topic is 5974 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this is a simple question but still: how do you print things to the debug window in VC++6? I mean that little thing that displays compile info and such. I want to print things to it like i do to the console... thanks a lot! [Insert cool signature here]

Advertisement
Is there a way to get a stream to the window so i can use the convinient stream operators ( << >> )?

Since it is mostly numbers i want to print it is a little akward to use itoa and such all the time.. is there a better way?

[Insert cool signature here]

I don't get any debug output from OutputDebugString...

edited:

Ooops.. need to run program in debug mode sorry. i used ctrl-f5. should have used just f5. (though i really dont know what the difference is :-) )

Edited by - CamelFly on February 8, 2002 11:22:54 AM

To clarify some more perhaps

i want to do something like:

debugwindow << "really " << fancy << " debugging;

. iS this possible without me writing a subclass of ostream?

quote:
Original post by CamelFly
Is there a way to get a stream to the window so i can use the convinient stream operators ( << >> )?

Yeah, create a WindowConsoleBuf class derived from streambuf which uses OutputDebugString to output the data. You can redirect cout to that streambuf or create a while new ostream that uses your new streambuf class.

Search Google or the MSDN Library on how to derive from streambuf.

- Houdini

Edited by - Houdini on February 8, 2002 12:21:47 PM

Might it be possible for me to see an example of this. I find stl io classes a wee bit confusing

quote:
Original post by CamelFly
Might it be possible for me to see an example of this. I find stl io classes a wee bit confusing

Sigh, that's why I gave the links to Google and the MSDN Library. There are a ton of articles out there that explain this if you'd take the time to look.

I went to Google and searched for "derive from streambuf" and the very first link they returned was a tutorial on how to derive from streambuf to print to the debug window.

- Houdini

Edited by - Houdini on February 8, 2002 1:36:11 PM

Sorry, i thought i looked up that pretty good but i did not find that article. Now it makes sense.

Thanks a lot for your time!

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!