How can I make mods??

Started by
10 comments, last by tuxx 22 years, 2 months ago
Please don''t flame me if this topic comes up every four hours, but I have a question: Is modding a good idea? It seems fun, and it wouldn''t be as complex as making a whole game from scratch. And also, what game is the best to mod off of? I''m thinking Half-Life, because there are soo many mods for it and i will probably be getting it soon. Thanks for your input Ex.. ex.. excuse me.. excuse me... I didn''t... I didn''t get a piece of... I didn''t get a piece of cake I didn''t get a piece of cake
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
Advertisement
I think making mods is a great way to start out, because you have a solid base to work with. It''s definitely much simpler to make a mod for a game like HL than to write your own FPS game. As for what game to use as a base, just pick your favorite. HL, Q2, Q3 and UT are all safe bets.
Modding is a great way to get into the game design field. It allows you to start creating a "game" without needing costly software, well more or less, and without needing to take the tiem to create an actual engine.

It is a great place to start.

Cray
CrayLead Programmer, MTA (http://www.mtavc.com)cray@multitheftauto.com
Thanks for your input so far, I can''t believe I got 2 responses only a little while after I posted this! Can anyone maybe tell me some good websites now?? I''m pretty sure I''ll do Half-Life, but in the mods article section, it had an Unreal Tournament mod article written by the developer.
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
There is supposedly a HL mod SDK. Maybe somebody could post a link to it....
I don't have a signature
Here''s a link. You got me interested in Mod dev...
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10045-100-8750349.html?tag=st.dl.10045-106-1.lst-0-1.8750349
I don't have a signature
www.planethalflife.com

This place will probably be a good place to start

Oli

All the best problems start with C

.:: K o s m o s E n g i n e ::.
I recommend against the HL engine, if you made a mod for that you would be prone to the massive number of cheats that are circulating for that engine.
Goto here:
www.valve-erc.com for mapping/modding information on halflife
and you shall also check out the greatest mods:
www.planethalflife.com/community/hosted

quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I recommend against the HL engine, if you made a mod for that you would be prone to the massive number of cheats that are circulating for that engine.

That''s a good point, but the reason that there are lots of cheats is because there are lots of HL players (far more than any other FPS), and for a mod to be successful, it doesn''t hurt to have a lot of people already playing the game it''s based on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement