• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

when people say text based games....

This topic is 5820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

do they actually mean text based? Or is it a figure of speech. I keep thinking of a game the is drivend by choices, choosed (a-d). The chose changes the outcome of the game. I guess what I mean is similar to an interactive story...

Advertisement
When I think of text-based, games like Zork pop into mind. They''re usually adventure games where you are given the description of a scene and you type what you wanna do like GO NORTH or USE SWITCH. These games can also be MUDDS played on telnet (think of Everquest without any graphics).

insert witty signature here

is it possible to give the user a selection of choices... similar to the example in my question??

Guest Anonymous Poster
When they say text based games they mean the Bulliten Board System types of games that used to be popular before the internet made it big. Games like Trade Wars, Legand of the Red Dragon, and similar. Look them up you can download them and play them localy if you wish to see what people mean by text based.

When they say text based games, they mean just that (Games that use only text - I made a poker game like that, it sucked without pictures)
Yes, I guess someone COULD make a game like a choose-your-own-adventure, but it would be a pretty stupid idea...

"I''ve learned something today: It doesn''t matter if you''re white, or if you''re black...the only color that REALLY matters is green"
-Peter Griffin

Guest Anonymous Poster
No no no... you guys got it all wrong...
This is a text based game:
http://webpages.mr.net/bobz/ttyquake/

Text-based games are not a stupid idea and they are very sucessful. Most text-based games are MUDs, or MU* rather.

• Advertisement