• Announcements

• khawk

Download the Game Design and Indie Game Marketing Freebook   07/19/17

GameDev.net and CRC Press have teamed up to bring a free ebook of content curated from top titles published by CRC Press. The freebook, Practices of Game Design & Indie Game Marketing, includes chapters from The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, and An Architectural Approach to Level Design. The GameDev.net FreeBook is relevant to game designers, developers, and those interested in learning more about the challenges in game development. We know game development can be a tough discipline and business, so we picked several chapters from CRC Press titles that we thought would be of interest to you, the GameDev.net audience, in your journey to design, develop, and market your next game. The free ebook is available through CRC Press by clicking here. The Curated Books The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition, by Jesse Schell Presents 100+ sets of questions, or different lenses, for viewing a game’s design, encompassing diverse fields such as psychology, architecture, music, film, software engineering, theme park design, mathematics, anthropology, and more. Written by one of the world's top game designers, this book describes the deepest and most fundamental principles of game design, demonstrating how tactics used in board, card, and athletic games also work in video games. It provides practical instruction on creating world-class games that will be played again and again. View it here. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing, by Joel Dreskin Marketing is an essential but too frequently overlooked or minimized component of the release plan for indie games. A Practical Guide to Indie Game Marketing provides you with the tools needed to build visibility and sell your indie games. With special focus on those developers with small budgets and limited staff and resources, this book is packed with tangible recommendations and techniques that you can put to use immediately. As a seasoned professional of the indie game arena, author Joel Dreskin gives you insight into practical, real-world experiences of marketing numerous successful games and also provides stories of the failures. View it here. An Architectural Approach to Level Design This is one of the first books to integrate architectural and spatial design theory with the field of level design. The book presents architectural techniques and theories for level designers to use in their own work. It connects architecture and level design in different ways that address the practical elements of how designers construct space and the experiential elements of how and why humans interact with this space. Throughout the text, readers learn skills for spatial layout, evoking emotion through gamespaces, and creating better levels through architectural theory. View it here. Learn more and download the ebook by clicking here. Did you know? GameDev.net and CRC Press also recently teamed up to bring GDNet+ Members up to a 20% discount on all CRC Press books. Learn more about this and other benefits here.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daniel Benmergui

Take a look at this game i made

10 posts in this topic

I am working on an RPG, and i plan to make a series of subproyects to test the engine as i am programming it...here is the first one: http://members.xoom.com/ProyectoArca/H&Hprerelease.zip Please try it out and tell me how many fps you are getting...and i wouldn''t mind if you told me what you think. THANKS!!!

It''s a nice game I like it.
I am getting 56 frames per second. (minium)
and 58 maximum.

continue with making games

58 fps

Nice little game

I think you are taking the right approach to making games by making ''subproyects'' and testing out your engine. Good thinking.

Why do you spell it ''proyects'' and not projects?

58 fps, PII 333, 64 RAM, Riva 128 4MB

Nice, BUT, where is the mouse support? Being able to move the pad with the mouse, not only the keys, would be neat.

Nice game. It goes anywhere from 48fps to 58fps. It runs somewhat jerky though... Are you using DirectX? If you aren''t, DirectX would make it so much smoother.

Very nice. The animation was very smooth and fluid. I got 47FPS on a P366 with 32mg Diamond Stealth III.
I was wondering, too, how are you handling what goes into video RAM and what goes into system RAM. I know that alot of people seem to put most everything into system ram and use a secondary backbuffer to blit everything into (especially for special FX). Just wondered how you''re doing it in your RPG.

i still have a really old 8 meg Millenium II video card so i only got like 20 frames per second.

hey, where did u get the fonts, did u make then yourself?

Thanks everybody for trying it out!

Staffan:

I didn''t plan to include mouse support with it...maybe when i complete the input library i will. Anyway, it''s just a subproject(more about "subproyects" below ). Its only meaning is to test the graphics engine.

Anonymus:
It is using DirectX. I also thought that it moved a bit jerky but it is not a problem of speed. In my middle-low end machine it throws 84 (the monitor RR) if i don''t limit it (your version is limited to 58 frames). The problem of jerkyness lies on how i manage speed. If the ball moves more than one pixel per frame, it begins to look jerky. But if it moves one pixel per frame, its speed depends on the refresh rate!.

Psychoprog:
I have no problem to give away source code. But the main is a bit messy. And i copied the classes and updated/optimized it for the next subproject. So if i give them to you, they won''t work unless i give you the old versions. They are the first versions, so they are not the best.
Tell me if you really want the source code.

Fuge:
I loaded all animations (ball, paddle, bricks) in VRAM because they are small. The splash screen is in RAM. Anyway, i have a backbuffer in VRAM where i do all blitting. My library supports alpha blending, but if i use it i have to load all in RAM, because they calculations are done in system

AA_970:
I did the fonts using Photoshop with the copper gradient. (Using Arial or something like that as a base). The black borders are accidental. But they looked great, so i let them.

As for you Spellbound...you are completely right! I laughed when i read your comment. My native tongue is Spanish, and project is spelled ''proyecto'' with ''y'' that''s why i mispelled it. Thanks for the correction!

THANKS EVERYBODY FOR TRYING OUT THE DEMO!!!!

Cool game! Ran at 58fps on my P300. You ought to post the source somewhere. Not for me, but for all the aspiring game programmers who are trying to learn. I am always happy to give out my source code. I used to have a web site with my game and source code on it, along with a developer diary. In fact it helped me land a sweet job as a 3D graphics programmer for the PSX 2!