Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LonelyTower

Reaction to Jim Adam's book

I finally got the book today from Amazon.com... If you ever complained about "okay, doing a 3d cube is fine, but how about a full engine with collison detection, moving mesh, animated mesh, skyboxes, camera views, scripting etc. etc. etc." then get this book! The table of contents on Jim''s page does not give the book enough justice. Barely skimming through the detailed page of contents is enough to make me mad with joy. I know, I know, I may be over-reacting, but it''s like a newbie''s dream comes true.

i''m just about done finishing it and its great. The only thing i didn''t like was the part about learning about a scripting engine. I found it a little boring but that''s probobly because i already knew how to do one. It''s good though.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:13:10 PM]

Did you manage to get the demos (the Tower) to work? The opening screen looks funny (the background is flashing) and my character cannot cast spells or attack monsters or interact with the townfolks?

What give?

works fine for me. Sometimes the sound is a little odd but i think that''s because he''s using multithreading to play the sounds. I usually use dmusic for sounds and music. As for battle and stuff, he doesn''t use the battle types he used the the chapter before. The battles are in game. You click on the enemy and you attack them. You have to be close though. As for the flashy screen, idk, works for me.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:32:37 PM]

I have found that if you''re using DirectX 8.1, the mouse-to-mesh intersections will not work. MS changed the D3DXIntersect function a bit, as well as the skinned mesh functions. I''m working on the fix for those problems.

As for the sound, I''m finding that specific sound cards and Win2k have some problems. I''ll be working on a sound core replacement that plays the sounds through DirectMusic.

Jim Adams

Mine arrived on Saturday and what I''ve seen so far of it
it looks very promising.

I''ve ran all the demo code, I do get flickers with the tower demo (screen flashes a lot) I am using dx8.1 so I could look at Jims site for an update.

Nice book, it has been worth the wait !

sTeVe