Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Expansive 3d Landscapes and problems with palettes!

This topic is 5781 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

1) I have a 3d terrain engine that generate landscape from an 8bit height map. It can use a color image or a grayscale image. Is there a difference between using a color map or a grayscale for heightmapping? Also, I am having problems with my images'' palettes. I tried to optimize my palettes using Paint Shop Pro, but it doesnt seem to do the trick! I basically want a full set of unique 256 colors in my palette (which im not getting now). How can I get a palette for my height map (0 being the lowest elevation and 255 being the highest).? 2) My terrain is very limited since its basically a square map. If I increase the terrain length and width scale, the less polygon-resolution the terrain will appear to have! Meaning the triangles get really big...resulting in less convincing terrain. How can i create a larger, more expansive terrain, while keeping the terrain convincing!?? thank you. ~ I am a DirectX to OpenGL convert! ~

OK,

1) I think the only difference between using greyscale and colour heightmaps is that greyscale heightmaps are smaller in size (less bytes per pixel).

Sorry, I don''t know about your palette problem.

2) Your problem is probably more difficult than this, but if you want a bigger landscape without loosing the resolution of the polygons, why don''t you just use a bigger heightmap? This will result in more triangles and more strain on the processor, but it should give you a bigger landscape without loosing the resolution.

Hope this helps

-Weasalmongler

1st - I dunno what API you''re using... but I use DX, and it seems like you can set the palette, in which case it seems like you should just increment up from 0 to 255 to get a series of greyscale values... (make sure you''re using a greyscale palatte in your paint program too)

Personally, I''m also making a Heightmap program. In mine I load a 24-bit Image and average the RGB values to get a grey value.

Also, if you''re using an 8-bit bmp file, you should have the palette in the file... I''m not exactly sure where, but its somewhere before the image data

2nd - As to the scaling of the width and length, the way I''m doing it is to have the width and length subdivided by two resolution values (one for width & one for length)

Then I take the length & width of my image, and take pixels at intervals to subdivide it the same amount.

This way, I can have a map that''s 100 x 50, and the resolution of the map can be as low as 1x1 or as high as the size of the image. (so a 256x256 image map can be 256 vertices x 256 vertices)

Dunno if any of this helps, but yeah... ok then

-Lonely