Annoying DirectX problem....

Started by
4 comments, last by jnnhein 22 years, 2 months ago
I have this * old * computer, and an annoying problem, can someone give me a good idea what to do about it? Almost every time I start an application which uses DirectX, my taskbar turns purple and my computer freezes. Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't help, I have to manually reset my computer (and wait while scandisk checks for errors). As this happens so often, needless to say it is annoying. This problem started when I updated to DirectX 7.0, and updating to version 8.1 didn't help. My OLD computer has following: - Diamond Viper AGP 550 graphics card - SoundBlaster AudioPCI V64 - PII 450 mhz - Windows 98 I've tried updating my drivers for graphics card, no help there. A couple of weeks ago I started learning stuff from Lamothe's book and now I'm losing my nerves resetting my computer after running each example ! grr.... Any ideas to solve this will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance ! Edited by - jnnhein on February 16, 2002 5:39:57 AM
Advertisement
you should re-install windows (delete the windows directory, then run setup).
or: remove components like soundcard oder network-adapter. if the lock up still happens, then re-install windows. sometimes its the only way...

greetz
Yep, but.... I''ve re-installed Windows three times lately (for various reasons), and this problem never goes away.

Last time I tested it when I had installed just the graphics card driver, mouse driver and a couple of games, and it still happens.... ;(

As it is, I''m getting very curious, what could cause it.
btw, you don''t always have to wait for the scandisk to finish...

-Pac
"The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can''t access my private members directly."
"When listening to some one tell about their problem (whether it''s code or not), don''t listen to what went right or wrong, but what they assumed....."
-Pac "The thing I like about friends in my classes is that they can't access my private members directly." "When listening to some one tell about their problem (whether it's code or not), don't listen to what went right or wrong, but what they assumed....."
Have you checked for the latest drivers particuly graphics/sound. The Creative Labs/Diamond web sites may have more information, if this is a problem with a particular product. I would (if all else fails) take out the cards (and drivers) one by one leaving just the graphics card. If you have or can borrow a replacment graphics card then also try that. At least then you can narrow down the problem. Be advised though, when you take out a driver windows sometimes leaves it on the system in a dormant state.

Also reinstalling windows still leaves the drivers and other TSR''s on your machine.

You could use CTL-ALT-DEL and end each task except systray and explorer for tsr''s.

,Jay
You might want to try stepping through the code in debugger and examine all error values. DX may return something sensible.

Just a guess: did you install DX before you installed video drivers? Some drivers want to be installed after DX.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement