general program lockup

Started by
4 comments, last by McEck 22 years, 2 months ago
are there some generel faults that may cause the computer lock up totally? i''m currently developing with vsc++ 6.0, and sometimes my computer locks up (no response, sound-loop etc, the "hard" stuff) when i''m running my program. i know problems caused by an invalid pointer-access, but thats not the prob. anyone knows what the prob could be? anyway: i''m using dx sdk 8.1. greetz
Advertisement
You mean you''ve been using Windows all that time and you''re not used to having your computer hang ??? GPFs can be due to ANYTHING.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Bear in mind that MS Windows is provided "as is", and may not be suitable for ''mission critical'' applications, such as running software.

Seriously though, these symptoms are common across millions of PCs worldwide, and are usually nothing to do with your code.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
Let me guess, you''re running Win9x.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
let''s not exaggerate. if we''re talking Win9x (especially WinME) then i understand. seriously, i''ve only experienced Win2K hard lock once (where i couldn''t end task "explorer.exe" and then rerun; couldn''t do anything but hit the power button). and WinXP has not hard locked for me, once.

it really depends on what applications are running in the background. i regularly only run MSVS, winamp, and MSN messanger and IE. nothing else but system processes. you can''t always blame MS. there are a lot of shitty applications and drivers out there. and once those drivers and applications have ring0 access they can wreck havoc.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
the thing is, i didn''t have lockups for a very long time. they just appeared now. i thought it would be the code, because it happend while running the program, but now i had one without running it.
maybe it was winamp 3 beta *g* however, it''s uninstalled now. i''m gonna wait till next lock up

thx for answering anyway...

greetz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement