Inline asm in Visual c++

Started by
3 comments, last by d000hg 22 years, 2 months ago
I have MS Visual C++ V6.0 introductory edition; as far as I can tell it only supports up to 486 asm calls inline (please don''t suggest using emit!) Does the standard/professional version have better support? Alternatively are there any inline functions to use 3DNOW or SSE type instructions. I can''t be bothered to learn asm prperly just to wewrite a couple of lines of code - even if it would make a huge speed difference. Plus when writing whole asm functions, how do you make them inline? Anyone know any tuts on SSE(2) and 3dnow(2) and which chips each is available on.
Advertisement
Get the processor pack upgrade. (Search M$ website). (And don''t tell me you can''t find it).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
SSE available on a PIII+.
SSE2 available on a P4.

3DNow available on AMD chips. don''t know which version, cause i''ve never owned an AMD chip. furthermore, i don''t do much assembly language programming on Intel chips, anymore. MIPS and PowerPC processors kick....

if you want documentation on Intel chips; including SSE/2.

Intel

alternately, i would presume information about AMD chps would be found on their website?

google is your friend.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.
But the processor pack won''t work with his version of the Visual Studio
If you look on AMD''s site in the developer section there is a library to use 3DNow!. You may still need the processor pack, but there''s a possibility that their precompiled libraries for MSVC could avoid that.
quote:Original post by jenova
3DNow available on AMD chips. don''t know which version...

At least the K6-II and up (I never had an AMD before the K6-II, but at least I''m helping a little ) support 3DNow!. The Athlon MP''s also support SSE.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement