confusion about DRI, GLX

Started by
1 comment, last by Dauntless 22 years, 1 month ago
Does DRI actually support hardware acceleration of Opengl via GLX? Or is it its own accelerator of OpenGL? I''m also presuming it can accelerate MESA.
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
Advertisement
http://dri.sourceforge.net/about.phtml

That should pretty much answer your question.
Hello from my world
As flame_warior suggested, have a look at the DRI website. They have a /D Glossary and I''m sure the definition of GLX is included.
" The DRI is an integral part of XFree86 4.x, and integrates with MESA" that answers pretty well your second question
Of course, your video board must be amongst the one supported, Too bad if you have a Kyro video board.

"GLX
X11 is a networked windowing system. Your client and your server might be on different machines. GLX packages up OpenGL commands into network packets, spits them across the X11 network pipe, then unpacks them at the other end. This lets you run accelerated 3D remotely: the client could be a simulation on a mainframe, the display could be your desktop machine in your office. GLX does a number of other X11 related things that couldn''t be packaged into OpenGL."

That should take care of your 1st. question

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement