Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGmeiner

Win32-Controls

as i read from MSDN that with the Win32-API function CreateWindowEx() i can create standard-controls like buttons, comboboxes and other i tried this out. Up till now everthing works well but how can i react on the events and messages such a standard-control gets? Exists there a standard-Callback function or something other technique? What i want to develop is a Generic-Dialog which is generated at runtime depending on some parameters. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks Peter Gmeiner

If you create a control on a window, the control will send notification messages to the parent window which should be handled in that window''s window procedure.
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam)
{
switch(message)
{
case WM_COMMAND: // this message received from most controls
{
// here figure out which control and what message specifically.
// procedure varies depending on control type
}
return 0;
}
}

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

In line with DerekSaw''s post, if you have a control that is not a child of any other control or window, then you can give it a window procedure by using SetWindowLong() and the GWL_WNDPROC index:

hwnd = CreateWindowEx(0, "BUTTON", ...);
SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, ControlProc);

You can then handle messages to the window in ControlProc.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]

Thanks for the hints and tips.
But one more question to Oluseyi:
You wrote that this Messages of the controls were sended to the WindowProcedure of the parentwindow. How can I distinguish when a WM_COMMAND-Messages comes in from which control this message comes??

Thanks

Peter Gmeiner

quote:
Original post by PGmeiner
How can I distinguish when a WM_COMMAND-Messages comes in from which control this message comes?

case WM_COMMAND;
{
wNotifyCode = HIWORD(wParam); // notification code
wID = LOWORD(wParam); // item, control, or accelerator identifier
hwndCtl = (HWND) lParam; // handle of control
switch(wNotifyCode)
{
case BN_CLICKED: // a button was clicked
}
}

MSDN is your friend.