Win32-Controls

Started by
4 comments, last by PGmeiner 22 years, 2 months ago
as i read from MSDN that with the Win32-API function CreateWindowEx() i can create standard-controls like buttons, comboboxes and other i tried this out. Up till now everthing works well but how can i react on the events and messages such a standard-control gets? Exists there a standard-Callback function or something other technique? What i want to develop is a Generic-Dialog which is generated at runtime depending on some parameters. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks Peter Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
Advertisement
If you create a control on a window, the control will send notification messages to the parent window which should be handled in that window''s window procedure.
LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hwnd, UINT message, WPARAM wparam, LPARAM lparam){  switch(message)  {    ...  case WM_COMMAND:  // this message received from most controls    {      // here figure out which control and what message specifically.      // procedure varies depending on control type    }    return 0;    ...  }} 

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Try searching for super-classing or sub-classing in MSDN.
It might be the one u r looking for.
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
In line with DerekSaw''s post, if you have a control that is not a child of any other control or window, then you can give it a window procedure by using SetWindowLong() and the GWL_WNDPROC index:
hwnd = CreateWindowEx(0, "BUTTON", ...);SetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_WNDPROC, ControlProc); 

You can then handle messages to the window in ControlProc.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks for the hints and tips.
But one more question to Oluseyi:
You wrote that this Messages of the controls were sended to the WindowProcedure of the parentwindow. How can I distinguish when a WM_COMMAND-Messages comes in from which control this message comes??

Thanks

Peter Gmeiner
Peter Gmeiner
quote:Original post by PGmeiner
How can I distinguish when a WM_COMMAND-Messages comes in from which control this message comes?

case WM_COMMAND;{  wNotifyCode = HIWORD(wParam); // notification code  wID = LOWORD(wParam);         // item, control, or accelerator identifier  hwndCtl = (HWND) lParam;      // handle of control  switch(wNotifyCode)  {  case BN_CLICKED:              // a button was clicked    ...  }} 

MSDN is your friend.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement