VC++ .NET

Started by
20 comments, last by acw83 22 years, 1 month ago
First, let me state that I read the other thread on VC++ .NET. My question revolves more around the features offered. Could someone give me a specific example of a .NET program? Also, what is "Managed C++?" How does these fit in with game programming? I just can''t seem to justify buying the standard edition without knowing what these new features are. Thanks.
Advertisement
First of all: VC++.NET isnt all about .NET programming. The C++ compiler is the only remaining in the VS suite that can still emit native x86 code. This is what most of the developers on these forums will use.
Managed C++ is a set of extensions to the core C++ language to enable it to work with .NET. .NET is(among other things) a huge set of classes for various purposes - GUI programming, Web-apps, XML, SOAP, sockets etc...
A sample MC++ Hello World looks like this:
  #using <mscorlib.dll>using namespace System;int main(void){       Console::WriteLine(S"Hello World");    return 0;}  

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
thanks
Managed C++ is a set of limitations on the C++ language that allow it to interpolate with .Net classes
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
To interpolate with .NET classes?

That doesn''t quite make sense. Surely you mean communicate or something along those lines?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
Also, if I get VS.NET, will I get the x86 C++ compiler with, so I can create standard Win32 programs?

Also, you say that C++ is the only one to have an x86 compiler, does that mean that C# cannot be used to create standard x86 programs?
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
quote:Original post by python_regious
Also, if I get VS.NET, will I get the x86 C++ compiler with, so I can create standard Win32 programs?

Yes.
quote:
Also, you say that C++ is the only one to have an x86 compiler, does that mean that C# cannot be used to create standard x86 programs?

The C#, JScript.NET and VB.NET compilers only emit MSIL code - no native x86.

Magmai: This has been pointed out over and over - The only limitations on MC++ is in your managed interface. This is unavoidable in any multilanguage interop scenario. Code that isnt exposed as a .NET class can be written any way you want.

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
Thanks for the help, I''ve decided to make the purchase. However, I have one last question: The feature set for VC++.NET Standard includes a compiler for C#... Does that mean I can use VC++.NET to code C#? If so, why would anyone pay $99 for VC#.NET Standard?
I noticed that too - VC# Std contains the C++ and VB.NET compilers, VC++ Std contains C# and VB.NET compilers and VB.NET Std contains C# and C++ compilers.
I would assume there is a difference in the level of IDE integration, debugging, Intellisense and stuff like that. VC++ Std does lack the Windows Forms designer, though.
What is the windows form designer?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement