Protecting a large number of files...

Started by
6 comments, last by jollyjeffers 22 years, 1 month ago
hi, This isn''t strictly game development - but it''s being used for my game project I''m nearing the end of the project, and I have several 100 development files (source code etc...), and i want to create several backups of the files - for obvious reasons. BUT it is quite important to keep the source code hidden from anyone who gets hold of the backup CD''s... is there anyway (using a commercial program, i know i could program one - but i dont have time) to stick a few 100 files into one large archive and have some sort of basic passwording and encryption to keep it fairly secure... doesn''t need to be unbreakable security (not that it strictly exists), BUT it does need to be good enough to stop some over-curious individuals browsing my files any ideas? thanks in advance. Jack;

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
A quick one: use zip, rar or whatever supporting passwords in archives.
Compress it, then use PGP to encrypt it. Don''t use a compression format''s built in password features, they don''t work that well. Of course, if you''re really not serious about the protection part, then that doesn''t matter.

thanks,

i couldn''t find any passwording stuff in WinZip when I last looked... hmm, will go double check

Jack;

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I''d follow Null and Void''s advice.
Zipping is easy enough and you should be able to find a
simple, small program that can encrypt it with PGP.
I''ll look into some PGP then

sounds interesting. thanks for the tips

Jack;

PGP == Good
Zip Password == Bad

I once had to open a zip file I password protected years ago. Took about 15 minutes on the net to get a cracker and another 5 (on an athlon 1200) to crack it. My faith in zip password protection died that day.
depends on the password.

The longer your zip password is, the longer it takes to crack.

I think it''s an O(n^2) algorithm, so every character doubles the amount of time it takes to crack.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement