Assembly/Assembler

Started by
6 comments, last by Xanth 22 years, 2 months ago
Should I learn this language? (Assembly/Assembler or the same right?) I understand it''s faster than C++ I guess for animations and graphics and stuff?
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Xanth
Should I learn this language? (Assembly/Assembler or the same right?)

It''s called assembly. Each processor has its own command set. Many assemblers (what you use to complile assembly) also differ in syntax.
quote:Original post by Xanth
I understand it''s faster than C++ I guess for animations and graphics and stuff?

Not necessarily. It''s only potentially faster if you''re better at writing assembly than a C/C++ compiler is at converting to it (you won''t be unless you know it well).

>>>>>Not necessarily. It''s only potentially faster if you''re better at writing assembly than a C/C++ compiler is at converting to it (you won''t be unless you know it well).<<<<<

Yeah... I don''t do anything half way so I''m sure in time I could write decent assembly. Got any opinions for books?
"I thought Genius lived in bottles..." - Patrick Star
Steer clear of assembler, to write in assembler and get a noticable increase in speed you''d have to be very knowledgeable and have a lot of patience, writing in assembler is slow.

When modern computer hardware is so far ahead of software why make life difficult for yourself.

,Jay
quote:
When modern computer hardware is so far ahead of software why make life difficult for yourself.

Some people finds amusement in complex matters. ^_^
quote:

Some people finds amusement in complex matters. ^_^
Don''t expect faster graphics because of assembly.

The graphics card does the drawing these days.

Perhaps other parts of you code COULD benefit but it''s probably not woth the trouble.
-------------Ban KalvinB !
quote:Original post by Jason Zelos

It might be more difficult, but it's fun to learn. Doing something big in it might be difficult. But there is a project here to write an RTS game in Assembler.
It's unlikely to be faster for graphics if you're using DirectX, but it won't be slower either (if you do it properly).

EDIT: Found link

Edited by - Useless Hacker on February 18, 2002 8:41:23 AM
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement