Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TL

Error loading BMP..

Hi! I have a little problem involving BMP files. When I create a BMP image with MS Paint I can load/unload it to/from memory with my self-made program. But when I "edit" (open/save) the file with Photoshop 6.0 and restart my program I get an error say something like: "DAMAGE: Normal Block (#17)". Note that I don''t even change the file with Photoshop, just open and save it. /Tommy

I dunno Photoshop 6.0, but it could be that you''re trying to load either a file format, or a bit-depth that your program can''t handle.

I dont think Adobe would try to change a file format on you, so it''s probably something along those lines.

Try looking at the image properties, and seeing if you''re program is compatible with the new photoshop image.

Also, try re-loading the bmp into MS Paint, and see if there''s any difference in the file there. (if MS Paint cant read it, then adobe IS screwing you up, if not... then it''s probably your program)

-Lonely

I''ve seen this problem, some image editors will compress the bmp.

Check the size, I''ll bet it''s smaller than the original.

Either mod your bmp loader to decompress, or do what I do, edit it in some nice editor, and save, then load and save it to a new file in Paint, which won''t compress it (unless the file it came from was, so start with a new file).

zin

zintel.com - 3d graphics & more or less

I noticed I couldn''t load bmps I made/edited in MS Paint as textures when I saved them as 256 color bmps. If you save the same bmp as 16M color bmp they''ll work. Ever since, I''m using PNG''s for textures. They ARE compressed, and still can be loaded.

Did you try to open the Photoshop-saved-Bitmap with Paint again?

If Paint cannot open the Photoshop-saved-Bitmap it is maybe a *.PSD that is named *.bmp

I think that photoshop sets the biImageSize to zero so if you use it in your bitmaploader you will get an error,
try using biWidth,biHeight and biBitCount to calculate the size
of the image instead.