Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New demo... again..

This topic is 5708 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! You guys are probably sick and tired of testing stuff but could please someone DL and try if this demo even works. I posted it a while ago but it crashed on just about every machine. So I chaned some things and I hope it works now. I know it still doesn't work on some win9x. I only tested it on 4 machines running winXP and one running win98 and it worked there. (read readme.txt before use) DL : http://www2.arnes.si/~uteran/Unity-Voyage.zip [ EDIT ] : in the /config folder you have to subfolders (medium/large). If you wand to chaneg size of terrain just copy file form that dir to /config. medium = 512x512 large= 1024x1024 Thanks Edited by - _DarkWIng_ on February 17, 2002 8:52:10 AM Edited by - _DarkWIng_ on February 17, 2002 12:45:36 PM

runs quite nicely althought with alot to see slows down just a teeny weeny bit. the menu items are transparent - the menu box is there, but there''s nothing in it - at least you can''t see it.

the log said: GetCharWidth32 did not return values.
everything else was just peachy

fps 24.1 fullscreen
fps 26.1 windowed

AthlonXP 1600+ (1400MHz)
256Mb DDR
Riva TNT2 UltraGamer (sucks, i know )
Win98 SE

crispy

Hey, that's gorgeous! The lens flares are a tad simple, but they add a really sweet effect. Two thumbs up. I didn't get the FPS, but the motion was smooth, and remained consistently so throughout the run, even when I stepped off the end of the world

My system config is:
1.3 Ghz Athlon T-Bird
Asus A7V-133 Mobo
VisionTek geForce3 gfx
512 MB SDRAM

Later,
ZE.

//email me.//zealouselixir software.//msdn.//n00biez.//
miscellaneous links

[if you have a link proposal, email me.]

This post was in fact

Edited by - zealouselixir on February 17, 2002 12:30:28 AM

Demo has been updated

Crispy : Thanks for error report. I replaced GetCharWidth32 with win9x friendly one and now I hope it works.

ZealousElixir : lensflare looks like crap since they are runtime generated and my texgenerator is still in the building stage

I''ve replaced menu imput with mouse (you can use mouse to click on items)

There are more worlds than the one that you hold in your hand...

Guest Anonymous Poster
is there a way to get your demo for nehe''s 2001 contest
running on win98 (maybe you have fixed it, and I can download it somewhere?)
?

Very nice! I did see a little slowdown when I turned on the animated sky, but otherwise it ran great!

Specs:

Gateway Solo 9550se
Windows XP Pro
PIII-M 1.066 GHz
256 MB RAM
Geforce2 Go
DirectX 8.1

"I will crush you with my bare hands and throw you into the wind!"

-Majin Vegeta

Great, the ''raise terrain under particles'' effect is pretty cool, and so is the lens flare effect. It runs a bit slow with the animated sky on, but it all runs flawlessly.

I''m running a Pentium III 900Mhz, 256MB RAM, GeForce2MX/400 with 32MB RAM, and Windows XP.

_________
"Maybe this world is another planet''''s hell." -- Aldous Huxley

thanks for replys...

Just a little slowdown? I get about 10 FPS

AP : I've fixed 2001 contest demo and I hope it will run on win98 now. I'll upload patched exe to my site in near future.

EDIT : you can DL patch for my Apocalypse 2001 demo from
http://www2.arnes.si/~ssdmtera/Download/CT11.zip
just copy exe file over the original one and it should work now.

[edited by - _DarkWIng_ on April 12, 2002 7:39:24 AM]

Ran fine

Win98
Duron 1Ghz
Geforce2 MX 32MB
448MB RAM

Neil

WHATCHA GONNA DO WHEN THE LARGEST ARMS IN THE WORLD RUN WILD ON YOU?!?!

At full quality I got 20 FPS. Nice Demo!

Win2k SP2
AMD Athlon 1Ghz
384mb RAM
64mb Creative GeForce GTS/Pro

------------------------------
Baldur K
"Hey! I hate these Microsoft guys! What a rotten compiler! It only accepts 16,384 local variables in a function!"

works great on my athlon 1.4 ghz, 256 megs ram, geforce 3 ti200

could you post a link or some info on how you did the animated sky? PLEASE!!!

and how are you doing the multuple textures on the terrain?

[edited by - rpgman on April 13, 2002 5:55:57 PM]

The demo runs very smooth. I can''t see any of the menu items so i can''t mess with the settings though...
avg fps ~40 fullscreen, my monitor is too small (800x600 max) to see the fps in windowed, but it runs smoothly nonetheless
specs:
Win XP Pro
Athlon XP 1700+
ECS K7S5A(sis 735, mobo/chipset makes a difference)
256MB PNY PC133 SDR(good stuff)
ATI Radeon PCI Bus 32MB(SDR)

I tested it and it worked _BUT_ when I exited it crashed

Windows 98
Intel Pentium 3
256 MB RAM
32 MB Diamond Viper V770

It ran a tad slow too but I''m sure its just that I have a dated card Good luck

blueEbola: Hm... I''ll try to fix that.. kinda hard if you don''t have win9x machine at home

HelplessFool : I know about this problem... It''s something got to do with windows TrueType font loading.. I hope I have it fixed by now. (demo on my site is OLD)

mordred : Yes, but just a part.

RPGman : Sky is animated bFm (or multiperlin noise if you like it). You can find tons of perlin noise generators over the net. Then just create 2D noise with function for creating 3D noise and giving it time as third coordinat. Texturing is done in 2 passes (Can''t get multitexturnig to work with this kind of texturing/coloring since I''m running on TNT2 here)

Looks nice Mirko. Can I ask you how you do your occlusion culling? At first I thought you may be using HP_OCCLUSION_TEST (judging from the bounding boxes in your quadtree), but then you mentioned you had a TNT, so that can't be the case...

oh... and I suppose I should give you some system specs:
Windows XP Pro
Athlon 1800+
Soltek DRV4 mobo (hehe... purple is pretty )
256MB DDR RAM
Absolutely Shit (TM) Geforce2MX - nVidia Detonator XP 27.70
(why absolutely shit?... try 64bit SDR memory, with mem and core clocked at 143Mhz... have to overclock it to get it to standard spec ... lesson: don't buy no-name vid cards, even when they're very cheap... they are cheap for a reason )

[edit] - lol... got so carried away bitching about my vid card, I forgot to post my result Anyho, got around 30 fps

hmmm... better do some work or I'll get an arse-kickin...

[edited by - Bad Monkey on April 15, 2002 1:56:04 AM]

Culling is done via Quadtree. In new verison (will be in LOTR) there is also some occlusion/distance culling (I dont draw stuff that is hidden behind hills). I''ve got idea by reading a papaer called "Fast Horizon Computation at All Points Of Terrain Vith Visibility And Shading Applications" and "reversing" this algorithem to make it work in realtime... well it turns out to be completly different but still nice.. it can cull away about 50% of stuff to draw in average scenario....

Pretty good!... if it werent for the distance clipping (not very smooth), I''d say totally great

Windows Millenium.
PIII 600Mhz
GeForce2 Ultra
256mb ram

fps - 43 (average)... running large land_x.

IMHO, the start of something great nice work.

Very cool,.....

about 20fps (fullscreen) on a Pentium 3 666Mhz, 256Mb RAM, Creative RivaTNT2 32MB, Win98se......

quote:
Original post by _DarkWIng_
I''ve got idea by reading a papaer called "Fast Horizon Computation at All Points Of Terrain Vith Visibility And Shading Applications"

Can you give a link to the article ??? I''ve been been trying to create such an algorithm but can''t get it to work....

Great Demo - but I have a few questions regarding it.

1) Why does the demo run slower in wireframe. Its my understanding that it should be a little more faster in wireframe or am I missing something here.

2) It gives me 14 fps. For a smooth animation shouldn't I be getting more that 24 fps. Is 14 fps right ?

Here is my system specification
P4 - 1.4GHZ
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 32MB

Thank you.

[edited by - flame_warrior on April 15, 2002 11:31:51 PM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
Win2K Pro
NVidia GeForce2 MX 64
256MB
1 GHz PIII

Looks awesome. I''m getting between 30 and 40 fps with all the bells and whistles on.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Works great about 40fps

Windows 2000 Pro
Athlon 1800+
GeForce3 Ti200
256MB