Critique my Game Concept

Started by
6 comments, last by AdamC 22 years, 2 months ago
CLIMB! copyright 2001 Adam Crescenzo First off, there are two modes to CLIMB!. The First mode is Competitive mode. This is the multiplayer mode, faster action, power ups, and more fun with friends. Its supposed to be frantic. The Second Mode is Freeclimb mode. This mode would utilize the high end graphics to mimic outdoor mountain environments, the use of perspective to capture the feel of dizzying heights, and actual rocky terrain. This would e a single player mode that puts you against the mountain, literally. COMPETITIVE MODE I think this would make a great multiplayer game, on any platform. The concept is simple. You have to scale the course faster than your opponents. Each course will be a 3D tower of sorts. Players start on different sides. There are different ways to climb, some are faster, some are easier, some are more difficult, or more tricky to manuver to. Each player is equipped with 2 safety cords. These cords keep you from falling. But they are both only so long, thus limitimg your range as you climb. You can climb free, but if you fall for more than 2 seconds you are out. POINTS- You score points a few ways. The line you take, move to move, is worth points. The cleaness of your moves, and the degree of difficulty also increase points. (Ex: You can take the same line twice. On the second time, you skip a hold, and leap to the next hold. You will get more points, and save time.) A sloppy manuver can result in point deductions. Another way to get points is to block an opponent on a route. That means crossing into his route, and taking it. Now he must find another way to go. Players cannot use a hold that has been used until the final area of each course. TIME- Your time is the most important thing. You want to get to the top as fast as you can. While it is possible to win with points if you do not finish first, the bulk of points awarded will be from your time remaining. CHARCTERS- While I plan on designing NPC to play against, I have yet to do so. Let me just fill you in the stats, and basic moves. The basic stats are Height (HT.), Weight (WT.), Reach (RCH.), Strength (STR.), Stamina (STA.), and Grip (GRP.). Stats will be wieghted against each other for balance purposes. Charaters can be chosen from nation teams (USA, Japan, Germany, France, Brazil, Russia, and Canada), each team having 3 characters. Final number of tems yet TBD. MOVES- As far as action buttons you use, here what I have. Each represents a difernt action assigned to a button. Hang/Grab, Switch (Foot or Hand), Plant, Un/Hook Cord, and Swing/Jump. The (3) basic moves are HOLD, SWING, and VAULT. Moves can be performed with either one hand or 2 hands. Im still working this out, any suggestion would be appreciated. Anyway, thats all for now, Let me know what you all think and if this sounds like something that would be fun. Ill update it as soon as I have more info. PEACE!!
Advertisement
Well it certainly caught my attention.

PRO:
::Non-Generic, so people will be new to the idea
::Great concept, and people like sports and competition
::Sounds like you could play it longer than a few days

CON:
::You need to be able to attract the player again. What about the game will make him/her say "hey, I feel like playing Climb!"
::You''ll need something very unique to your game to attract players, because not many people will play a game when they see that they objective is to climb a tower. =)

But I think it sounds cool! =) Good luck, man.

~Dwarf
----------[Development Journal]
Sounds like a good idea.

It looks like it draws on a fair number of different elements, which together make it something quite unique.
I''d be very interested to see this implemented!
To add to replayability you could have several different mountains of varying difficulties and perhaps after completing some you get access to new equipment likes longer safety lines or even new opponents.
Anyway, sounds like a really cool original idea, just don''t turn it into an "Extreme Climb!" =)
Hey, great concept! I can actually envisage myself playing it.
My only worry is that when you listed the countries, UK is not part of it, why? Have you get anything against the Brits!

God luck!
i couldn''t care less about climbing a mountain, but this sounds great!
you should definitely allow the players to create their own mountains to climb (you''ll probably have to program an editor of some sort anyways).
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I really like the idea.

One thing I always try to insert into my own designs is replayability.

I think a competive mode will work well for this. Players will want to become better so they can beat better players.

Quick idea:

How about a hardcore mode, where if you fall, you die. But, if you don't fall and make it to the top in time, your character advances to the next round (next mountain for example) and perhaps gains some power in one or more attributes ('I'm learning!').

The one to finally reach the top of the highest mountain (let's just say Himalaya) can show his top rank of to his buddies for the rest of the month.

------------------

PS this idea reminds me of a game I once saw in a sci-fi comic (Dutch/English comic called 'Storm', by Don Lawrence and Martin Lodewijk).

It took place in a giant arena, where hundreds of people were placed on pillars. The goal of the game was to be the one at the top of the highest pillar at the end of the game.

The tricky part was that all partipants were armed, and had to fight each other to move up to a higher pillar.

Another tricky part was that some pillars would start to sink into the bottom during the game, lowering whoever was standing on it. This wasn't good as the bottom of the arena was made up out of burning lava.

Edited by - Silvermyst on February 17, 2002 9:30:13 PM
You either believe that within your society more individuals are good than evil, and that by protecting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible, or you believe that within your society more individuals are evil than good, and that by limiting the freedom of individuals within that society you will end up with a society that is as fair as possible.
Thanks for all the feedback. IM glad to know that I can still generate some interest in my designs.

One of the main things I wanted to accomplish was a way to make both modes interesting and yet fun. In the Competitive Mode, the fun comes from playing against multiple opponents on the man made climbing towers. I want to make sure there are instant power-ups and point multipiers as well as bonuses for overall stats, to give small goals to the player or reasons to take harder routes on the way to the larger goal, being the top of the tower. This part of the game would be more fantastic than real. I think I can see people playing something like this with friends, or even networked with opponents worldwide (lofty hopes, I know).
Even better would be the fact that it would feature a random hold generator to set some of the stages. That way, the shape and dynamic of the climbing tower would be the same, but the location, size and shape othe holds would not be the same every time.

On the FreeClimb Mode, I pictured something that requires more patience and skill, and would focus more on the "outdoor" element. Natural hand and foot holds, not so easily marked. Realistic textures, and shadows, and pathwear where a route has been taken to guide you along the easy ways, leaving the harder ways up the mountain for you to find. There are so many types of rock faces around the world, from the red rocks of Arizona, to the inverted cliffs of Switzerland, or the lush vertical faces of South America. Even an Ice Climbing stage. Maybe even have equipment play a factor on the Freeclimb.
The real goal would be to complete a carefully climbed trek up to the peak, rather than a wrecklessly rushed marathon to the top as in competitive mode. Skill over Speed.

Thanks again for he feedback, Maybe Ill post another game concept for critique, as this has really helped me out.

Peace

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement