MilkShape3d Models

Started by
-1 comments, last by Abstraction 22 years, 2 months ago
I''ve noticed something strange about the .ms3d model format. At the vertex level only a position in specified. At the triangle level you get 3 indexes into the vertices (for position) then 3 sets of texture cordinates and 3 normals. Up untill now I have been dumping the triangles into a vertex buffer and rendering them. So that''s all fine but what about an index buffer. I know every group has a set of triangles that all share a set of vertices. So how do I extract an indexbuffer from that? Do the NumVertices specified in the file refer to the number of vertices that have only a unique positions and not a unique set of texture cordinates and normals. If it does then how the heck am I supposed to figure out how many vertices I need to store position, texture cordinates, and normal information, since some are shared and some are not? Any why does every vertex in the file have a ReferenceCount, what is that for? Possibly the number of times that position if used by the triangles, if so then how is that usefull to me? I really hope that makes sense. If not just tell me what you know about the ReferenctCount and what the heck the author was thinking when making this file format. One more thing, I read the turorial on NeXe. It did not help me at all. From what I understood it was just dumping all the triangles into a vertexbuffer just like me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement