Is C# better for games?

Started by
25 comments, last by Anarchi 22 years, 1 month ago
1) what is C# dedicated to? 2) Is it more similar to Java or C++? 3) Would C# be able to make games as good as a game programmed in C++? 4) Is M$ trying to get rid of C++ in place of C#?

Downloads, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

Downloads, Free GoldLib game library, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

Advertisement
This question comes up every other day around here, use the search and spend hours and hours reading responces.

Doh, I tried searching but I recieved this error 3 times:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error ''80040e14''
The query contained only ignored words.
/community/forums/search.asp, line 79

(I searched for ''C#'' and ''C flat'' within Game Programming)

Downloads, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

Downloads, Free GoldLib game library, D3DXSprite tutorial, New platform game: .-= The ZeroOne Realm =-.

I think you meant C-sharp, though C-flat seems a much more fitting name to me =)

just so ya know, -flat is symbolized by the little b looking thing after the note, sharp is #

-noh
C# is a Microsoft''s Java.
Java is used mostly for business network applications.
And so C# - just as Java - is not very usable for games coz it''s slow and doesnt allow to access hardware directly.

Obviously, you know nothing about music or you''ve never heard the language name correctly pronounced or spelled. It is C Sharp.
Hey, relax Merlin, he''s a programmer, not a musician

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
There is a point here though - C# and .NET are both very hostile to search engines. Not even the one on MSDN handles them very well.

quote:Meduzza
And so C# - just as Java - is not very usable for games coz it''s slow and doesnt allow to access hardware directly.

No modern operating system lets you access hardware directly, so the point is moot. C#/.NET has an edge over Java through a more seamless interop mechanism with existing technologies. While Java tends to be an all or nothing solution(Java Java über alles), C# makes it a lot easier to use existing C or COM API''s.

As I have mentioned earlier in other threads - there will be a managed wrapper in DX9, allowing .NET apps to use DirectX. You can presently use the existing VB interfaces through COM interop, or make your own wrapper in Managed C++. There is also an OpenGL wrapper for C#/.NET at csgl.sourceforge.net

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
C# was made with the purpose of giving Microsoft some ground on yet another industry. Same goes with MSN to AOL, and Xbox to PS2. Microsoft wants to dominate every aspect of technology. C# and Java is an example of the same thing. Microsoft is very compeditive, and they cringe at the prospect of letting any aspect of technology being dominated by another company.

By the way, I'm a total Microsoft fan. I would die without my Xbox, Windows, and Visual C++. Just stating truth is all.

EDIT: Some gramatical errors

Edited by - Johnny_W on February 17, 2002 6:29:00 PM
Its funny how people bash C# based soley on the fact that Microsoft created it. I hate Microsoft for many things, but C# is definitly not one of them. In responce to its speed: Yes, C# is interpreted similarly to Java which makes it slow. HOWEVER the interpreted code is compiled while being interpreted so it is faster on the second execution. Whats great about this is that while the game or whatever other application would run slow for a few minutes or every time a new block of code is executed, the second time though (and the next time you run it) the code has been optimized with the current system in mind and in effect could actually run faster than C++ because of the automatic configuration-dependant optimazations. Also you can configure the Microsoft Installer to compile it when installing, this will slow down installation however the app will run fast the first time. If the system configuration or settings change the code is automaticly recompiled to ensure optimal performance. Not to mention the language has a ton of awsome features and the .NET Base Classes are very very good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement