Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vamp355

Bitmap loading in console.

Ok, I am a C++ class learning how to make games. At the moment we are allowed only the usage of console, and I am trying to load bitmap images into it. I am not loading anything spectacular, just some generic shapes and such. I can''t seem to find how to do this in the MSDN, well I found some stuff, but it doesn''t really explain how to use the stuff. Any help would be greatl, thanks.

not with directx/win32 anyways. You'll have to hope someone here who knows how to program games under dos catches wind of your post. Other then that, there's always ascii art

edit: i think it's cool you have a class that doen't jump directly into directX or something.

Edited by - AbsolutDew on February 17, 2002 11:03:47 PM

yeah this class is just staright C++ console only. my next is just basic windows stuff. after that I finally get to play with DirectX, and eventually somewhere down the line I will get to have fun with openGL too. anyways, the teacher says its possible to get bitmaps in, they look like crap, but like I said I h=just want some shapes and stuff. oh well, hopefully someone that knows see this. thanks anyways

You could try to initialize modeX ... do it like this:

mox ax, 13h
int 10h

and then acces the framebuffer by addres a000:x+y*320 in memory

When I started college, my school happened to have a copy of Borland C++ 5 on the computers along with Visual Studio, so when the rest of the kids were scratching their heads trying to learn linked lists, I was wowing the row behind me with a simple particle system in mode 13h compiled under Borland... which was more than I could say for using a Win32 console app under VS.

I still have Borland Turbo C++ 3 sitting on my hard drive for when I get the urge to test an idea out quickly, without having to jump through Windows' hoops. I swear by OpenGL now, but it's helpful being able to get a quick graphic test done in <10 lines of code with minute overhead.

Oh yeah, bottom line, Win32 console apps under VS are no fun if you're looking for DOSish graphics. Or, as far as I've toyed with them.

Edited by - Omaha on February 18, 2002 1:52:44 PM