C++ Looping

Started by
7 comments, last by Malachi 22 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I have a problem with my small program, with this code, #include <iostream> using namespace std; int a; void main() { cout <<"Which table would you like me to multiply? "; cin >> a; } void working(); { cout <<"\n1X" << a << "=" << a*1; cout <<"\n2X" << a << "=" << a*2; cout <<"\n3X" << a << "=" << a*3; cout <<"\n4X" << a << "=" << a*4; cout <<"\n5X" << a << "=" << a*5; cout <<"\n6X" << a << "=" << a*6; cout <<"\n7X" << a << "=" << a*7; cout <<"\n8X" << a << "=" << a*8; cout <<"\n9X" << a << "=" << a*9; cout <<"\n10X" << a << "=" << a*10; cout <<"\n11X" << a << "=" << a*11; cout <<"\n12X" << a << "=" << a*12; cout <<"\n"; return 0 } I am trying to place in a loop, so if the user enters more than 20 it will repeat the line "Which table would you like me to multiply? " until numbers less than 20 has been entered.I have tried using the If statement but keep on getting werid errors and Im not to sure if its my Visual C++ compiler messing up. I have also tried using While and Do but it get bad loops which result in the program crashing. So can someone help me please?
Advertisement
I''m sure its not your compiler thats the problem. Have you tried:
  do{   cout <<"Which table would you like me to multiply? "; cin >> a;}while(a>=20);  
int main() <-- main should not be "void"
{
return 0;
}

void work() <--- you had a ";" after "work()"
{
} <--- return without the "0" or even better no return at all.

-----------------------------
"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do."

"...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."

-----------------------------"There are ones that say they can and there are those who actually do.""...u can not learn programming in a class, you have to learn it on your own."
Thanks guys, I tried the example Michalson gave me and I get a load of errors. One is "missing function header (old-style formal list?)" what does this mean?
quote:Original post by Malachi
Thanks guys, I tried the example Michalson gave me and I get a load of errors. One is "missing function header (old-style formal list?)" what does this mean?

It means that you haven''t posted the exact code that is causing the errors.

--
The Dilbert Principle: People are idiots.
quote:

VC++ always tells the line where the error happens on. This error usually happens when you put a semicolon after a function like this:

void fuction(); <------ This made the error.
{
}

Jeff D

I hope that helped

Edited by - Jeff D on February 18, 2002 9:35:31 AM
Suffered seven plagues, but refused to let the slaves go free. ~ Ross Atherton
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int a;

int main()
do
{
cout <<"Which table would you like me to multiply? "; cin >> a;
}
while(a>=20);

cout <<"\n1X" << a << "=" << a*1;
cout <<"\n2X" << a << "=" << a*2;
cout <<"\n3X" << a << "=" << a*3;
cout <<"\n4X" << a << "=" << a*4;
cout <<"\n5X" << a << "=" << a*5;
cout <<"\n6X" << a << "=" << a*6;
cout <<"\n7X" << a << "=" << a*7;
cout <<"\n8X" << a << "=" << a*8;
cout <<"\n9X" << a << "=" << a*9;
cout <<"\n10X" << a << "=" << a*10;
cout <<"\n11X" << a << "=" << a*11;
cout <<"\n12X" << a << "=" << a*12;
cout <<"\n";

}
Ok this is new code I re done, now Ive placed in the While and Do loop I get 59 errors involing the lines of Cout. Which I dont understand because when I take out the loop it compiles fine.I just let people know that Im still a beginner at C++.
If the code above is exactly from your project (ie copy and paste), you''re missing an opening brace right after main.

int main(){  // main body} 

I wanna work for Microsoft!
[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Besides the syntax error, that code will go into a loop if the cin failbit gets set. Try it for yourself: when prompted for a number, enter a non-number. You should check the failbit via the fail() member function, and take appropriate action when it is set.

--
The Dilbert Principle: People are idiots.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement