Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Weston

New struct (to me)

I was reading through Tricks of the Windows.... yada yada yada... and in one chapter reguarding bitmaps, there is a new structure setup I''ve never seen. I looked through my C++ books and couldn''t find anything similar to it. I suppose it''s more of a C thing, so here it is: typedef struct tagBITMAP_FILE { BITMAPFILEHEADER bitmapfileheader; BITMAPINFOHEADER bitmapinfoheader; PALETTEENTRY palette[256]; UCHAR *buffer; } BITMAP_FILE, *BITMAP_FILE_PTR; I understand the need for typedef and the tag, but the two variables at the bottom have me questioning. In C++, minus the typedef, this would make BITMAPFILE and BITMAP_FILE_PTR objects. But they don''t work like objects in the previous definition, but rather like a type instead. What I want to know is what is going on here, and is there a more C++ like way to rewrite the structure? I''d like to be able to work with a more familiar syntax.

Just a shorthand way of defining types (note the keyword typedef)

another way is to write:

struct tagBITMAP_FILE
{
BITMAPFILEHEADER bitmapfileheader;
BITMAPINFOHEADER bitmapinfoheader;
PALETTEENTRY palette[256];
UCHAR *buffer;
};

typedef struct tagBITMAP BITMAP_FILE;
typedef struct tagBITMAP *BITMAP_FILE_PTR;

quote:
they don't work like objects in the previous definition, but rather like a type instead

Exactly!

As types there is no longer a need for the "struct" keyword

BITMAP_FILE bmp;
BITMAP_FILE_PTR bmp_ptr = &bmp;

quote:
is there a more C++ like way...

Sure, turn the struct into a class.

Edited by - lessbread on February 17, 2002 11:30:14 PM

Imagine you are declaring a variable ''i'' to be of type int.
int i; // ''i'' is an ''int'' 

If you add the keyword typedef, you suddenly declare ''i'' to be the type int.
typedef int i; // ''i'' means ''int'' 

Now, when declaring a struct, you can immediately declare a variable of the struct type by putting variable names after the struct declarations, just as you do with ''int'' or other types.
struct TAG {...} var1, var2, *var3; 

Furthermore, when you know you won''t need other variables of that type, you can omit the tag and declare an anonymous struct :
struct {...} var1, var2, *var3; 

Remember that, as far as pointer declarations go, the ''*'' is associated with the variable name, not with the type (i.e, ''int *i'' really means ''int (*i)'', not ''int* i''). Thus ''int *i, j'' makes ''i'' a pointer to int and ''j'' an int (instead of two pointers).

So the same is true with your struct : BITMAP_FILE and BITMAP_FILE_PTR would be (without the typedef) respectively a variable of type ''struct tagBITMAP_FILE'' and ''pointer to struct tagBITMAP_FILE''. But with the typedef keyword, you are no longer declaring a variable, but a type, so they become aliases for (respectively) ''struct tagBITMAP_FILE'' and ''pointer to struct tagBITMAP_FILE''.

However, as LessBread pointed out, now C++ compilers will let you use the unqualified tag (i.e. tagBITMAP_FILE) as an alias for the full type name (struct tagBITMAP_FILE).