I need some direction...

Started by
3 comments, last by soundview00 22 years, 2 months ago
Hello all, I am an artist, modeler and animator seeking some advice. It all started out a year or two ago when I decided to design a game. I''ve gone through all the steps to develope the storyline, character design, levels of design, and the desired minds eye effects for my models. But there is one problem...I can''t program! I am currently enrolling into a community college just to learn how to program, and expand my skills in mathematics. I have college algebra under my belt, but how more math do I need? I have also been playing around with Visual C++ .NET, reading the examples line by line, then refering to the glossary for the correct definition of each line of code. This is really taking me a long time...time that I don''t have. I was also thinking about hiring a programmer or getting with a group of people that was interested in creating a game. But, I find my self reluctant to do so, simplpy because of the originality of my concept and character design. I don''t want someone to steal my ideas and models only to use it on another project not related to what were working on. What should I do? I need help in designing a game I know, but I don''t want my ideas to be with people who will use them on another outside project that I may know nothing about. soundview00@hotmail.com
Advertisement
I''m assuming you don''t want a whole Computer Science degree. I would suggest it, but it''s your choice. By the way, if you don''t have _A_ degree, you can pretty much forget it until you do.

Unless you plan to do it all yourself, I''d say Trig or Pre-cal should be enough math. A semester of physics (which more than likely has a Calc prerequisite) is almost mandatory, and a second can''t hurt either. As for the programming itself, get a "For Dummies" or "Teach Yourself" book. It won''t be enough alone but it will help you understand your examples. I''d suggest sticking through at least 2 semesters of courses in the same language, and you''ll probably find C++ more useful for reasons discussed in plenty of other threads. Also, since you already studied up with the above books you''ll have a head start.

Even more important than taking a programming language is programming THEORY. By this I mean the data structure classes, the algorythm classes. (At my local college they are one and the same since the first topic is discussed in bits and pieces for 2 full semesters before formally discussing it and the second topic.)

If your college lets you take these without splitting it up with Speech, History, etc then you can do it in a year if you go during the summer too. By the time you get to this you should know if you want to go for the full deal or if you know enough.

Again, I''d suggest getting a degree if you don''t already have one, and by this point you''d be half way through the core CS programming. Careful selection of the specific classes could mean another half year of CS stuff and about 2 years of all that other stuff.

ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
ShadeStorm, the Day_Glo Fish
I am strongly thinking about persuing a bs degree in mathematics with a minior in physics. The only problem is finding the time to do it on a full-time basis.
If it''s programming you want, then you''d do better with a BS Major in Computer Science, Minor in Math. This is precisely what I''m in the process of doing, and my advising proffessor (who runs the graphics labs at my university) has told me that for the field I want to pursue this is an ideal course of action.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
Thanks, I really appreiate it. I''ll do some research tommorow to find out the core classes and then go on from there. I hope to talk to you guys in the future...thanks for your advice again, see ya''.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement