Book: Infinite Game Universe: Mathematical Techniques

Started by
6 comments, last by Xgkkp 22 years, 1 month ago
has anyone got it? what do you think?
Advertisement
I've browsed it, I didn't find anything really revolutionary.

It boils down to one concept : Instead of storing world data, store random number generator seeds and use them to recreate data on the fly.

Edited by - Fruny on February 18, 2002 7:29:02 AM
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
But does it give anything useful, like concepts or anything, as i am looking for a good resource on fractals, random generation etc with the intention of creating a virtual universe, and this book looked like it might be interesting and even useful.
quote:Original post by Fruny
It boils down to one concept : Instead of storing world data, store random number generator seeds and use them to recreate data on the fly.

Thats what Elite did, right?

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
apparently, i''ve never really played it, and don''t know how random it is, but i want to be able to do domething like mojoworlds for instance (without rendering, maybe not to that level of detail)
I browsed through this book at the bookstore last weekend. As Fruny suggested, it covers how to use psuedo-random sampling techniques to create (reproducible) ''random-looking'' universes. All I can suggest is go find it in your local bookstore and sit down and take a good hard look through it. If you think it covers some techniques that look interesting, then buy it. Otherwise, simply scour the internet for resources on generation of random universes... theres a bit out there, particularly among the graphics community.

Cheers,

Timkin
I would, but no bookstores stock it locally,
thankfully, we''ve just signed up to anytime internet, so we get 24/7 free. Enough time to scour the internet!
Gamasutra has two good introductory articles on this topic:

Part 1

Part 2

I think more articles are planned for the series but that''s all so far.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement