Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Failed to create driver indexbuffer??

This topic is 5779 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I run a Direct3D8 program on my computer in a debuger and debug output shows this: Direct3D8: (INFO) :======================= Hal HWVP Pure device selected Direct3D8: :DoneExclusiveMode Direct3D8: (INFO) :HalDevice Driver Style 7 Direct3D8: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer Direct3D8: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer What does "Failed to create driver indexbuffer" means? It doesn''t look like it''s a big deal cause the program runs fine. I just wanted to know if anybody knows what that means? Thanks..

All it means is your hardware is pre-DX8, so doesn''t support index buffers natively in hardware. Instead the index buffer is being turned into a DX7 style stream of indices (driver style 7?...) before being passed to the driver.

Its not a big deal really - you''ll only see it on cards which support some form of hardware vertex processing (DX7 FF T&L) but don''t do DX8 IBs. The GeForce256/2 is a card which displays that informational report.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Apparently, my GeForce 3 also does this. Kinda disappointing since it''s supposed (or at least I think it''s supposed) to support most (unfortunately, I know not all) D3D8...

nVidia do have a habit of turning things off in their drivers while they''re getting other things working only to (re)enable them later on - try experimenting with different versions of thier drivers and you may find certain features automagically being supported

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com