Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

_stalker

Failed to create driver indexbuffer??

I run a Direct3D8 program on my computer in a debuger and debug output shows this: Direct3D8: (INFO) :======================= Hal HWVP Pure device selected Direct3D8: :DoneExclusiveMode Direct3D8: (INFO) :HalDevice Driver Style 7 Direct3D8: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer Direct3D8: (INFO) :Failed to create driver indexbuffer What does "Failed to create driver indexbuffer" means? It doesn''t look like it''s a big deal cause the program runs fine. I just wanted to know if anybody knows what that means? Thanks..

All it means is your hardware is pre-DX8, so doesn''t support index buffers natively in hardware. Instead the index buffer is being turned into a DX7 style stream of indices (driver style 7?...) before being passed to the driver.

Its not a big deal really - you''ll only see it on cards which support some form of hardware vertex processing (DX7 FF T&L) but don''t do DX8 IBs. The GeForce256/2 is a card which displays that informational report.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Apparently, my GeForce 3 also does this. Kinda disappointing since it''s supposed (or at least I think it''s supposed) to support most (unfortunately, I know not all) D3D8...

nVidia do have a habit of turning things off in their drivers while they''re getting other things working only to (re)enable them later on - try experimenting with different versions of thier drivers and you may find certain features automagically being supported

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com