Water in games?

Started by
12 comments, last by Moe 22 years, 1 month ago
There is one problem of mine that the article doesn''t cover, and thats mixing terrain with the water. I need a way to figure out when I should be drawing the water and when I shouldn''t.

I think the water in that article looks especially good because of the fancy textures.

Moe''s Site
Advertisement
> There is one problem of mine that the article doesn''t cover, and thats mixing terrain with the water. I need a way to figure out when I should be drawing the water and when I shouldn''t.

What do you mean ? HSR on the water ? Or cutting out the outlines ?
If you mean the later, then it depends. It can be very easy to extremly difficult. If your water is heightmap based, then just don''t draw the tiles that won''t be in an external outline, with some overlap with the terrain, to avoid holes.

I had very big problems, when it came to include objects floating on the water. Eg. a simple boat. Since the boat has geometry under the waterline, the water surface would always pass through the boat object, very ugly, looked as if it would fill with water and sink any moment I still didn''t solve the problem 100%, since it would require a realtime boolean operation between the boat object and the water plane...

> I think the water in that article looks especially good because of the fancy textures.

Hehe, the water in that article isn''t textured... It''s gouraud colour shaded with an additive bumpmap (using a realtime NSE bumpmap), and reflection + refraction maps. But there is no ''standard'' texture map on the water.
I guess I will just play around with it when I have the chance (if ever) and see what I can do.

Moe''s Site
Hi,

I dunno, if this of any help to you, but i remember reading some article on a flipcode members site about a realtime raytracer, he had produced water by creating a large plain of small triangles and altered the normals of the triangles in a pattern to create the effect of water with the reflected light

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement