Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How DO You Guys Remember?

This topic is 5776 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How do you guys remember all these functions and such? There are so many of them. Do you just memorize them or do you always carry around a reference book? I am just learning DirectX and every time my book shows a function for the X time I''ll think "Now what did that do again?"

It''s like learning math. The more problems you work out the better you become at working out problems. Practice, practice, practic. And "perfect practice makes perfect play" - same goes for sports and music. Having a reference handy helps. MS publishes a lot of .chm files. They aren''t always as clear as they could be, but they make good references.

I always have MSDN (dated July 2k, which is why I need the other two) along with PSDK and DXSDK docs open whenever I open MSVC. Also take advantage of auto list members and auto parameter info in the IDE.

I dont remember anything. I have a really crappy memory, so I always have all the documentation available when programming.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)

Write small functions/classes for everything you do, don''t write large ones. Name your functions and parameters well, and you won''t have to remember the exact names of the api calls that go on inside

- Kevin "BaShildy" King
Game Programmer: DigiPen
www.mpogd.com

APIs like d3d are good because they use a clear naming convention. After a while, you can guess what the function is going to be called, even if you''re not sure, since the method names follow a nice pattern.

Theres no way you''d be able to remember it all. Like the others say, just keep the SDK open at all times.

T

I don''t think ne1 remembers all the functions and all they''re parameters. What you should know however is the function names. If you can remember them, vc++ will display the parameters. From there, it''s a matter of filling them in. I refer to the sdk quite often for function parameters. Another good spot to reference if previous code.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:39:09 PM]

Like the guys are saying, the more you work with things the better you remember them. For all other functions i keep 2 copies of the MSDN open (one regular and one DX docs) and i usually have C++ the complete reference close to hand for when i need to do some tricky file i/o or use a new STL type.

/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */

I agree with most of what had been said which is basically that most people don''t remember functions and parameters but indstead have SDK and other relevant docs open. It goes without saying however that the more you use a resource, the more you will "remember" about it.

However, another point worth mentioning is that remembering facts is not the key to learning or even using applications such as DirectX. Fundamental knowledge and understanding is much more important than remembering. The SDK function names and parameters may change form time to time but fundamental knowledge and understanding only shifts very slowly (if at all).

Henry

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Squeejee
How do you guys remember all these functions and such? There are so many of them. Do you just memorize them or do you always carry around a reference book? I am just learning DirectX and every time my book shows a function for the X time I''ll think "Now what did that do again?"

I think if you us them enough some stay with but others you may have to look up. I compare it to learn english. There are so many words, but over time quite a few stay with and others you may have to look up.

The first time I use a function I look it up in MSDN.
The second time I use a function I type it in and usually get it backwards. I look it up in MSDN again.
The third time I use a function, there''s a 50/50 chance I''ll get it right from memory. If I don''t...you guessed it - I look it up in MSDN again.
Usually, by the fourth time I have occasion to use this function, I have it well and truly stuck in my long-term memory.
It''s just a question of practice (like they said), except that you practice by using it. Also (like they said ), remembering isn''t the key to good programming. There''s no shame in looking up a function in the online help

---------------

I finally got it all together...
...and then forgot where I put it.

I don't use any fancy IDE stuff like code-complete, I find it annoying, but when writing, say, DirectX code I've written something similar to, I look at my old code to see how to initialize it or whatever it is I'm doing.

But you should write high-level wrappers for things like DirectDraw and/or OpenGL. That way you can do what I do:

renderer* Renderer = new direct3d;
Renderer->SetDisplayMode( 640, 480, 16, true ); // true for fullscreen

~CGameProgrammer( );

Edited by - CGameProgrammer on February 19, 2002 4:10:52 PM

There are a couple things I wanted to ask...and I know...
they''re really newbie questions...
Is it ok to use functions from books for like: Loading models,
initializing DirectX, etc. Or is that not an ok thing to do?

I mean common things mostly...

-=Lohrno

quote:
Original post by kmsixpence
What you should know however is the function names. If you can remember them, vc++ will display the parameters.

unless you aren''t using an IDE that wipe your butt for you...
i''m playing around, please don''t anyone go and get angry
quote:
Original post by Lohrno
Is it ok to use functions from books for like: Loading models,
initializing DirectX, etc. Or is that not an ok thing to do?

sure, if they work... using previously written code is a great way to get things done without wasting hours reinventing the wheel. but, you should definitely study it so you understand what is going on so you can (a) not be dependent on having that piece of code available for cut-n-paste (b) learn something useful, and (c) possibly work out a better/faster way of doing it.

--- krez (krezisback@aol.com)

Practice and usage is all it takes. It may seem like an overwhelming amount to learn, but think about this... How do you remember all the hundred, if not thousands, of words in your vocabulary? DirectX, OpenGL, Win32, these are just a different sort of language to learn, and I''m not speaking language as far as programming language, just continuely the analogy.

quote:
Original post by NightShade
Two words - Multiple Monitors

:D

Ahh, a fubulus idea . But i hate it when game run slow because I have 2 card drives installed.

- err, the last signiture sucked bigtime!