How DO You Guys Remember?

Started by
26 comments, last by Squeejee 22 years, 1 month ago
How do you guys remember all these functions and such? There are so many of them. Do you just memorize them or do you always carry around a reference book? I am just learning DirectX and every time my book shows a function for the X time I''ll think "Now what did that do again?"
-----
Advertisement
Books and search engines are your friend.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by Martee
Books and search engines are your friend.

I agree
It''s like learning math. The more problems you work out the better you become at working out problems. Practice, practice, practic. And "perfect practice makes perfect play" - same goes for sports and music. Having a reference handy helps. MS publishes a lot of .chm files. They aren''t always as clear as they could be, but they make good references.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Keep the SDK docs open. When you need to know something, pop over, search for the function, and look at the parameters.
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
I always have MSDN (dated July 2k, which is why I need the other two) along with PSDK and DXSDK docs open whenever I open MSVC. Also take advantage of auto list members and auto parameter info in the IDE.
---visit #directxdev on afternet <- not just for directx, despite the name
I dont remember anything. I have a really crappy memory, so I always have all the documentation available when programming.

The world holds two classes of men -- intelligent men without religion, and religious men without intelligence. Abu''l-Ala-Al-Ma''arri (973-1057; Syrian poet)
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
I remember everything, because i really am that good.

Really.

(kinda)
Write small functions/classes for everything you do, don''t write large ones. Name your functions and parameters well, and you won''t have to remember the exact names of the api calls that go on inside

- Kevin "BaShildy" King
Game Programmer: DigiPen
www.mpogd.com
- Kevin "BaShildy" KingGame Programmer: DigiPenwww.mpogd.com
APIs like d3d are good because they use a clear naming convention. After a while, you can guess what the function is going to be called, even if you''re not sure, since the method names follow a nice pattern.

Theres no way you''d be able to remember it all. Like the others say, just keep the SDK open at all times.

T

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement