Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJXtra

DINPUT - comp beeps!

When you are in windows and you press like 4 or 5 keys at once, your computer beeps. Is there any way in directinput8 to disable all the windows crap so you can press as many keys as you want all at once, and have it not beep? Ive tried using exclusive mode and stuff, but no dice. Right now in my space kombat game, if player 1 is using 3 or 4 keys, no other keys will register input, so player2 is stuck. Thanks in advance- Jeff

Correct me if I''m wrong, but I think the depressed keys are stored in some sort of matrix, so depending on where the keys you''re pressing are in the matrix, you may be able to have more than 4 ... but only for certain combinations of keys, not too sure though eh

I dunno about a matrix, but it is possible to press, say 7 keys at once, and not have a beep, but then press 4 or 5 other keys and have it beep.

Its not windows that has a limit on the number of keys pressed, so theres no way to get around it. Its the keyboard driver itself. Theres only so much space in the driver and across the wiring to the keyboard to store keys.
So i''m afraid you''ll just have to work around it or find other key combinations (hint: try the number keypad) that don''t cause the pooter to beep.

HTH, Steve

Keep in mind your user might have a ps2 keyboard while you have a usb one. ps2 only allows a small number of keys to be processed at once. ( 3 i believe ) usb allows more.